Page 89 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Nieuport 11...

Frank, these clamps are pretty handy for securing tubing to the side of the wing struts:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...?clickkey=4904

Name:  AN742-D3.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  21.6 KB

I used these with sheet metal screws for securing the aileron control cables to the N-struts.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Spruce has several pitot/static tubes. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...?clickkey=5714

I actually have one that I bought but never used.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Went out yesterday to fix this, and figured out that running up the back strut and then across had more problems to solve than solutions, so just went up the front one.

It actually went pretty straight forward. I took a peak at a Citabria during some hangar talk and it's static port tube, drawing some measurements from it. Some epoxy at the front, some super tiny holes drilled, tubes cut, annealed, etc. and voila!

It's not super pretty, but what on my aircraft is?

Will it work as it should? I don't know, but it looks very airplane-y and might.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Pitot tube and static port worked really well flying today!

No real wind, but seriously bumpy - like riding a dirt road and an elevator in turns!

But I must say I finally put together the landings I want, coming in high and rounding it out to kiss the mains when landing. More incredibly, not only was it on the centerline but there were witnesses!

Naturally, though, I didn't mount the GoPro to capture it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post

Perfect landings normally occur only when there are no witnesses and no video evidence. Come on, Frank, I thought you knew that. If there were witnesses, they must have snuck up on you.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

I didn't ground loop her two days ago - I drifted to a halt! Of course I had the video rolling, and I may put it together, as it's sort of entertaining!

What a day!

So when I was last flying, the engine seemed to be running a bit rich, so a bit of adjustment was in order.

Pull out my instructions, start setting the carb to the starting default positions, and notice the rubber seal thingies from the carb tubes to the intake manifolds has some signs of dry rot.

Hmmm, that's not good. I need to pull them to see if it's cracking all the way through.

In order to remove them, I have to take off the intake manifolds into the engine.

Bugger up the gasket between the engine and the intake manifold as it sticks and breaks.

Dang.

Glories of VW's, the new rubber round dealies and the gaskets are less than ten bucks, but the plane is down until they arrive.

But it did give me an opportunity to order a new oil temp sending unit, one that fits on the bottom of the engine at the oil pressure relief valve (replacing the bolt there). I think the one at the front of the engine is lying - or, possibly, I have the coolest running VW engine ever to grace an aircraft.

Now that I know my fabricated static port works great, I also put a T into the tubing and ran it to the altimeter. I may be very weird to have accurate instrumentation on the panel. Heck, I may have to take the plane to the compass rose and adjust it, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Pitot tube and static port worked really well flying today!

No real wind, but seriously bumpy - like riding a dirt road and an elevator in turns!

But I must say I finally put together the landings I want, coming in high and rounding it out to kiss the mains when landing. More incredibly, not only was it on the centerline but there were witnesses!

You ought to do a cross country up to Center/Piedmont. There's never any traffic and you could do as many takeoffs and landings as you want. And you could do it without the curse of those onlookers who, it is widely known, are the cause of bounced landings, runway excursions, and groundloops.

Note my airspeed indicator now works!

Since it's a-okay, I put a T into the static line and hooked it up to the altimeter, which now should indicate correctly as well.

Sure, I may never look at them, but if my eyes stumble across them at least they'll be telling small lies instead of huge ones.

All the parts and stuff went on yesterday, and I adjusted the mixture to the carb. It definitely was running too rich.

So little hint:

If, for some reason, you ever take the carb off of your engine - such as rebuilding the engine - just throwing the carb onto a table, then into a box, then onto a table, and then onto the engine may throw it out of calibration. Slightly.

Zero winds and calm air first thing this morning, and she flew gloriously.

The new prop has me cruising at a steady 55 mph indicated with the engine turning around 2200 RPM's, which is just fine with me.

And, with the static port connected to the altimeter, it's now indicating altitude correctly. Useless information, but at least now it's accurate and useless information.

Next up is replacing the stubs that hold the wheels into the axle. They're bent, and I fear they may bend just enough to bind the brakes. Been there, done that, did the rebuild.

Fortunately I bought a big long piece of cromoly steel, so it's just a matter of cutting lengths from it, taking the bungees off, undoing the bolts, pulling the old ones out, putting the new ones in, drilling the holes, putting in the bolts, and re-bungie-ing the axle.

I think I'll look at putting proper bushings around it, though. The plastic conduit pipe Robert uses may not be cutting the mustard. He remarked that I might want to use steel for that when we talked at Sun N Fun.

I may also delete the brakes entirely. 1) I never use them. 2) I have them adjusted so loosely that it doesn't really do anything when I do engage them. 3) They're just another thing that might tear up.