Page 90 of 109 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Nieuport 11...

Axle inserts are fine - straight and true.

It's the bearings on the wheels that are shot.

So I'm going to call Worksman Wheels on Monday and see if they have heavier duty ones that will fit the hub; if not, I'll just order spares.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I managed to locally source the bearings, as Worksman is apparently ordering them via slow boat from China, and discovered a few things:

1) "Pre-greased" apparently means "a drop of some yellow watery rust inhibitor."
    2) I was amazed at just how much bearing grease actually went into the bearings.
    3) It ain't that hard to put those pressed fittings in. I bought a couple extra thinking I was going to booger at least one of them up.

Did some taxi tests and stuff this morning, and wasn't satisfied with how the brake shoes have some spots where they rub the drums. It's not much, just some minor brushing, but I'm a bit skiddish about brakes since the flip-over.

After dinking around with them for about forty minutes I just pulled the brake shoes out of the assembly and threw them on the bench.

It's not like I use them anyway.

So now I just have to give myself a little more room when cutting the engine to coast to a stop.

Oh, and I went around the pattern once just because the weather looked just okay enough for it. High cloud cover that looked sort of pregnant with rain (though a low chance of it), smooth air, but the winds were light to sneaky variable gusts. Wind sock couldn't decide what it wanted to do.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Today's flight was just great!

Winds were light, if very variable, and it didn't get bumpy until the end.

I got to fly with a bald eagle (though the GoPro didn't capture it very well).

There was traffic - I saw two other airplanes, including one that landing ahead of me at the airport!

Speaking of traffic, thanks to a tailwind I kept up with the traffic on the Interstate. Mostly.

Oh, and the landing was completely unexpected. Maybe removing the two inches of lateral slop in the wheels is a help in that area:

On my last landing (not the one in the video) I got something of a surprise when I pushed her back in the hangar:

This is what happens when on decides to mount an oil cooler to the tab on it without a reinforcing strip underneath:

Metal completely failed!

So the plan to keep this from happening again is to reduce the angle of the radiator, put strips underneath, add some vibration stopping baffling rubber material in there, and try again.

Had to do some math problems. Pythagoras, you magnificent so-and-so, I read your book!

Because I'm using a thin mild steel for this, I decided to double it up. Plate that will go underneath is also steel.

Ready for paint!

Here's the difference in angles between old piece (black) and new:

Over the past two days I have endeavored to make probably the best example of craftsmanship in regards to my aircraft to date.

Both sides matched each other nearly perfectly (I'm sure a micrometer could spot a discrepancy), and each side was made of two sheets of steel bent to perfectly nest within each other.

The holes all went where they should have gone, and it installed easily with the baffling material to ensure vibration would be at a minimum.

Even the paint is perfect and smooth.

What I didn't take into account in my initial measurements for the reduced profile is this hangy-down part right at the end of the engine block before the starter. Said hangy-down part is 3/16" too long for the oil cooler to traverse under the engine.

Of all the scrap parts I've ever made, I can't think of a single one that quite matches my pride in its manufacture.

So here's to you, perfect oil cooler mount that is less than a quarter inch too short and therefore has to be thrown on the salvage pile; know that the one that will follow and actually fit onto the engine will be no less dear to me.

Frank, speaking of cooling... how hot does that VW run on the ground and in flight? I'm pondering various engine options for my maybe-might-finish-someday wood biplane. One of the contenders is a reduction drive VW. I've heard that it may be a challenge to keep them cool at low speeds and while taxiing. What's your experience been?
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Well, it's all in the baffling...everyone I know that had problems initially solved them with a bit of fussing. The key is to not ask the VW to do more than it is meant to do.

As for my plane, I'm cheating a lot by design. It's really half a cowl, with the bottom of the engine hanging out in the wind. Blocking off the top half, which is cowled, makes for a nice high pressure area to force air down around the cylinders. Plus I have a humongerous oil cooler, which helps.

Indeed, I'm going to replace the oil temp gauge, as I suspect it's a bit over optimistic in how it's reporting my cooling ability.

I have about half a mile of taxi work to do to get to the runway, at walking speed, routinely fly at slow speeds (around 50 mph), and never had an issue with overheating.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    ... So here's to you, perfect oil cooler mount that is less than a quarter inch too short and therefore has to be thrown on the salvage pile; know that the one that will follow and actually fit onto the engine will be no less dear to me.
    I'm pretty sure there's some nicely worded material in there that could be fashioned into a poem.

I have come to realize that just as it is with warriors, within each pilot resides a poet.

I'm a poet
    You all should know it
    My feet show it
    They're Longfellows.

Sorry, but that's all I got.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.