Page 93 of 109 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Nieuport 11...

Just too much fun!

Bungee adjustment worked a wonder!

I actually ran down the runway before the landing, floating above it and touching several times to settle them, as some will be tighter than others and I wanted to get them equalized. It dawned on me afterwards that this might not have been the smartest thing, as if they failed I'd of had a very katywhompus set of gear, with one loose and travelling to the top of the axle channel.

But there's a reason why my most common phrase in just about everything with it is "Well, that worked out okay."
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Frank...your Christmas tree has some bulbs burned out.......
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Well, I did build a flying machine in my back yard under a tarp, so yeah.

The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I figured out one problem but still have one remaining!

The first problem was that my plug-in thingie that I connected to the battery replacer for my radio was giving me a lot of electronic noise to the point where the radio was useless.

The reason I want to run the handheld off the aircraft system is that when the regular battery gets too low to transmit there's no way to know. One still receives well, and there is absolutely nothing on the ICOM screen to let one know the battery level. I ran into this problem the other day that could have turned out badly.

Anyhow, I had tried to be sexy by using one of the units with a cigarette lighter plug and a couple USB ports next to it. That way I could charge a phone or something as well. Turns out that the switches in the unit that tells it whether it's drawing from the USB or the cigarette plug is super noisy. Bought a little unit that's only a cigarette lighter type plug in thingy and hey-presto, problem solved.

The second is that I've got a sneak circuit somewhere that's going to ground and draining the battery slowly. It's both frustrating and simple. There's not a lot of electrical stuff on my plane to begin with, and all of it goes through two switches - a main for everything but the radio cigarette lighter thing on it's own circuit.

With everything routing through just two switches, it should be simple to track it down. The instruments, for example, are all daisy chained in one loop of wire.

It's frustrating because with such a simple system going through switches there should be no way for it to happen.

I did hit a small window of flyable weather, though, which was great.

Naturally, there was a tiny amount of drama involved:

(Three minutes long)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veHNu1_AboY

Chased on take-off. For science.

(a minute long)

Frank.....you just ain't right........
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Because dramatic music makes everything better, a rather pedestrian landing seems quite the adventure:

I forced the tail down a bit quickly, as I wanted to be sure to make the first turn off, hence the bit of squirrel action there.

This flight was actually pretty short, as my fix to the leaky valve cover gasket needs a repair - on take off roll I could actually taste oil. I made my way down to one of the last remaining VW parts places anywhere and picked up some new ones, which I'll put on tomorrow.

I resolved my radio power problem - I had put in this cigarette lighter/USB power combo unit to plug the radio into, and it was a noisy mess. Turns out that el cheapo units like that have a rotten switch between the 12v lighter plug and the 5v USB ones. I just bought an even cheaper plug unit that is just the lighter hole and it solved the issue.

I still have a nasty little sneak circuit somewhere that is draining my battery that needs to be tracked down. It's frustrating in that I have so little hooked to the battery in the first place, and it goes through two switches (with everything but the radio going through one). The good news is that since there are so few things it shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

Frank, when you are rolling out on the runway it is yours. Don't hurry things even if the tower wants you to make a specific turn off. That's when bad things happen. I never let the tower or other traffic bully me into doing something in a hurry. I try to be a good pilot and make the earliest turn out or let some in the downwind but sometimes you just need more time so take it.
    RV7 N212MD
    Backcountry Super Cub N646CH

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Because dramatic music makes everything better, a rather pedestrian landing seems quite the adventure...
    My is sitting on the couch where she can't see my computer screen, asked, "What are you watching? It sounds really intense."

Frank, I love your posts and videos. My build project has been stalled for weeks due to other priorities. Seeing you out flying in your biplane... Well, I have to admit that it makes me jealous as hell. Today I'm going to get my workbench cleared of all the household project JUNK that's covering it and get back to work. Tomorrow I'm ordering plywood. I'm tired of watching other people have fun, to e to get it back in gear!

Thanks.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.