Page 32 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Nieuport 11...

Frank,
    is your plane capable of using a Rotec Radial for power? It's a cool little airplane with a VW but a Rotec would put it odd the charts cool. Wind in your face flying, definitely will cause the fun meter to peg!

Looks really nice Frank! Good job! Will definitely be a fun machine!

Jim
    Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a grease pencil & cut it with an axe.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    I just want to fly up and down the Coosa river and visit exotic places like Albertville and Fort Payne here in Alabama, so that's okay to me.
    Looking good, Frank!

Plan on making a swing by Pryor Regional (DCU) while ripping about the North Alabama skies. An adversary will be lurking in wait for you:

My D.VII Project
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Totally sweet!

Perhaps we could meet at Guntersville and fly around South Sadi....they'd look awesome along the water and mountain.

Heck, I may have to venture up your way to take a look....awesome aircraft!
    Last edited by Frank Giger; 04-01-2015 at 10:30 AM.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Engine

Quote Originally Posted by Todd copeland View Post
    Frank,
    is your plane capable of using a Rotec Radial for power? It's a cool little airplane with a VW but a Rotec would put it odd the charts cool. Wind in your face flying, definitely will cause the fun meter to peg!

Hey Frank... I forget what engine you already bought... It looked nice...

What is it... and what's the HP ?

Gotta Fly...

PS This is one of the reasons I like my Building Log.... Everything is in sections... instead of rolling along...
    When I want to look at engine stuff or add to that part of the log... it's easy to do.
    and it counts how many times it was looked at... One has over 18,000 views
    http://www.wingsforum.com/viewforum.php?f=320
    Last edited by planecrazzzy; 04-09-2015 at 08:31 AM.

The VW is a 1915cc on direct drive...don't know the exact horsepower because Valley Engineering put it together and they're experts, but we'll say around 90. Maybe a touch more due to electronic ignition, etc.

My actual builder log is like yours - sections (Fuselage, wings, etc.) - but this thread is as it comes.

Using the theory that when one faces an obstacle during the build one should defer it whenever possible and work on something else, I'm covering the wheels. Fabric's on and I'm touching up the paint. Pics later.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Oh, and your forum log is awesome!

So let's cover those wheels! First, though, I had to remove some rust spots that had come back since removing it all. Enough of that crap, I painted the wheel after scrubbing with aluminum foil and Coke-Cola.

Stealing shamelessly from the KC Dawn Patrol, right down to the brand of contact cement they used, I went with their method.

I had some scrap fabric that was just large enough to cover the wheels. It's got some dirt on it, but to heck with it, I reckon it won't matter.

I started in the center to make sure the short sides were hanging over enough to bite onto the wheel rim.

Glued and shrank. The glue nor the fabric goes over the lip inside the wheel that the tire fits into.

Measuring for the hole. I used a bicycle pump end for my diameter and used a hole saw bit that matched it to draw a circle. Sharpie marks show on both sides of the fabric to get me aligned.

I sourced some thin aviation grade cardboard to make a reinforcing ring for the hole.

The inside was the same, minus the air pump hole. I just made a slit in the middle to fit over the brake drum.

Ready for paint. Put on primer and pondered.

I could go solid colors to match the rest of the plane, but darn if there isn't anything really personal about it.

So I put blue on the insides and made an Alabama flag of the outsides using spray paint.

The lines are straight - the wheel covering is convex, making it look goofy.

Wow, those wheels look great Frank.