Page 105 of 109 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1083

Thread: Building a Nieuport 11...

Rather than a third edit, I'm trying to figure out why some pics are showing and some aren't. All of them are on the website server and display properly in Cpanel, but not as a link.

I may experiment a bit to see if I can get them to work.

[edit]

The problem was that some of the photo files had a .JPG extension, which somehow isn't recognized as a photo; however, a lower case .jpg is fine and dandy. So I'm going through and manually renaming all the image files with an all caps JPG with a lower case jpg.

This may take awhile.
    Last edited by Frank Giger; 07-16-2020 at 05:12 PM.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Hi Frank,

How's it going with the rebuild?

Frank, look for a free program called AF5Rename, it can do all kinds of mass renaming.

The upper case JPG signifies the file is 8 bit. This is unusual as when I had an 8 bit computer in 1994 the only image files were .BMP and .TIF. I am currently having some problems with .jpgs not opening in the stock photo app in Windows 10 but if I select edit first and display them, then then do open. Naturally, I have files that once were 16 bit, some 32 bit and now my file system and all working programs are 64 bit. Were you around when "long file names" became possible in Windows 95 in yes, 1995. I don't know about Apple. Until then all of the file names also were all caps. I truly appreciate the work of those who labor to keep legacy legible.

Quote Originally Posted by Saville View Post
    Hi Frank,

How's it going with the rebuild?
    Well, I've been slack on updating, but the fuselage is done. Well, minus turtle deck stringers, seat, controls, restraints, throttle, front side panels, wood floor, firewall, gear, covering and painting. But other than that, done.

The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Did a bit of artful beating on the cowl this morning! Sorry for the quality, my fllp phone is great at making phone calls, but not being a camera.

http://eaaforums.org/attachment.php?...1&d=1599951567
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow, I would have called that part a write-off! A kiss of high-build primer, a little sanding, and it'll look like a bought one. Well done!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Well, I've been slack on updating, but the fuselage is done. Well, minus turtle deck stringers, seat, controls, restraints, throttle, front side panels, wood floor, firewall, gear, covering and painting. But other than that, done.

Hi Frank,

Glad to hear you are making progress. When you have the time a picture of the fuselage in its present state would be great.

But totally understandable if you are too busy for that.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Saville; 09-18-2020 at 03:37 PM.

I'm going to have to dink with the website and do some culling, I reckon, as I'm at capacity for files!

Yesterday I started to put in the lower wing carry-throughs, which is a Deep Breath Drill, as a person only gets one shot at getting it right. Turns out the 90 degree drill thingy with a chuck on it has disappeared in the last seven years since I last used it, and the hex chuck one I have doesn't have bits long enough to go the distance, so I stopped before doing something stupid.

The carry throughs are huge in moving forward. The control column attaches to them, as well as the rudder pedal skids and the seat, so I'm keen to get them in.

I had to replace the control stick, as a I gorilla'd the one inch aluminum tube over so hard in the wreck that I bent it sideways (!), and I went an entirely different direction with it. I took four layers of plywood, cut out the shape with two going the other way in grain, glued them together, and wrapped with twine for aesthetics and to hold the push to talk button wire to it. I alternated the grain because it's a lazy S sort of shape, and went with wood because apart from slamming into the ground from 50+ feet on her side, the stresses to it are small. I only really put a full grip on the stick in takeoffs and landings; normally in flight it's just my thumb and middle finger.

To be certain of durability, I'm going to make a second and stomp on it to see what it takes to actually break it.

I could have done a LOT more on the aircraft, but Jack from our EAA chapter was on the field supervising Mike doing the conditional inspection on his gorgeous KR2. Not only is this more interesting than whatever I was doing, Jack was a career USAF pilot who's career from the '60's to the '80's had him flying everything from Sabers to a MiG 17 to the F-16. His casual stories about flying early jets are amazing...hell, all of his stories about flying are amazing, and I figure that it's actually time better spent listening and asking questions.

[edit]

I keep coming across little things in the aircraft that point to just how much force was exerted on the aircraft, and what a great design it is. I was moving one of the busted wings around looking for things in the hangar and spied a four inch long AN-5 bolt that was bent into a U. Holy Freeholies, that's a lot of pressure to do that. She really took it on the chin so that I could crawl out with no more than some broken ribs and a few stitches.

I know it's just a machine, but when I see stuff like that I stop, pat the aircraft, and give a sincere thank you to it.
    Last edited by Frank Giger; 01-03-2021 at 07:47 AM.

Hi Frank,

Great to hear from you.

Very wise to not push the carry-through drilling until you have the right tools.

How thick was each bit of plywood that you glued up?