Page 81 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Nieuport 11...

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    If you are trying to power this radio off the airplanes power supply you will get a squeal. I-com speaks about this. There is a fix and the fix is not what is mentioned here.
    I power my ICOM A5 off the airplane power supply and did not get a squeal for almost ten years. Even now, it only squeals with a certain headset configuration. If I use an 8 ohm headset or a 300-ohm without an impedance matcher, it doesn't squeal.

For power, I used a "battery eliminator," a pack that attaches to the back of the radio like the standard battery pack and has a cable to attach to aircraft power

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I did have a part break on my setup and it caused a squeal. The cable needed repaired or replaced. I sent said cable to Icom and they repaired it.
    Do you recall, offhand, what aspect of the cable broke? It sounds like maybe the shielding got messed up. If the mic or earphone connection broke, it shouldn't have worked at all.

Ron Wanttaja

If the shield separates from the BNC connector on the antenna wire it will squeal.

Since it didn't squeal before but is now, I figure the wires got wonked somehow - and just ordered new ones along with some of the ferrite cores.

I need to come up with a way to manage all the wires - maybe a cloth sleeve for them - as right now I just put the radio next to me on the seat and inevitably wind up sitting on some of them as I get in. It's all ad hoc and sloppy. That said, the cables and wires and junk have never gotten in my way, and when I inverted the aircraft it all stayed put.

This homebuilding stuff just never ends. While that's kind of cool, there are times when I wish the ratio between Education and Recreation was a little less even, favoring the Recreation like Alabama is favored against an FCS team in football.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    .... like Alabama is favored against an FCS team in football.
    Frank, on behalf of decent, dignified, moral, respectful and righteous people everywhere on this good earth, please convey our heartfelt thanks to the people of Alabama for finally doing the right thing in this past year of living dangerously.

Perhaps sending a team of Alabamians to North Korea might fix that problem as well. Nice Airplane.

Just wait until we are crowned national champions!

Unless you're referring to today's election. In which case, hurray, we elected a politician to a position that will last less than three years. Yay. And stuff.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    There is a known squealing issue with some models of ICOM handhelds. I've encountered it on an ICOM A5, but it doesn't occur on my A14 even with the same headset.

There is a set of toroids ("chokes") that the mike cable wraps around, and it supposedly will help with the squealing. They're $5.35 from Aircraft Spruce:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal.../icoma6a24.php

(If the link doesn't work, look up "ICOM A6 / A24 HEADSET NOISE MODIFICATION FERRITE CORE".)

Mind you, I've tried endless variations of these, and it doesn't help my A5. But buy a couple and try combinations of wraps.

One thing you MIGHT try is to reduce the sidetone volume on the radio. On my A5, you push the transmit button, then turn down the normal volume knob/button.

Folks should also understand one other key point: When you use a headset adapter on an ICOM handheld, you MUST have a separate push-to-talk switch. If you push the "transmit" button on the radio itself, it uses the built-in microphone.

Ron Wanttaja
    I grabbed some of these; I guess they just clamp around the mic cable in several spots?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    I grabbed some of these; I guess they just clamp around the mic cable in several spots?
    Loop the mic cable through it, i.e. pass it through, run it back around the outside, and back through again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Loop the mic cable through it, i.e. pass it through, run it back around the outside, and back through again.
    If I remember, too, the cable is supposed to cross itself inside the choke as part of the loop.

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 12-13-2017 at 05:48 PM.

The Icom tech note on the problem is here:

http://icom.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/...dification.pdf