Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Smokers Flout The Rules

My biggest problem with smokers this year - way more butts on the ground than in the past. This is Oshkosh - trash goes in a can, not on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Baughman View Post
    My biggest problem with smokers this year - way more butts on the ground than in the past. This is Oshkosh - trash goes in a can, not on the ground.
    Don't you know - smokers are exempt from litering rules. Toss the butts wherever they please!! Out the window, on the floor...

Quote Originally Posted by NAA551WB View Post
    As a line service tech I think that smoking needs to be policed better because of a safety issue. Yes there are harmful chemicals in 100LL exhaust, jet exhaust, car exhaust, lawnmower exhuast, weed wacker exhaust, RC exhaust but what it comes down to and I think the majority of you are missing the point is of safety. If someone was smoking near where I was fueling an airplane at my home airport I would be furious to the point of being an asshole. I want to go home at the end of the day.

If you are caught smoking in a non designated smoking area you should have a mark put on your wrist band similar to having your tag clipped at a ski resort. If you are caught again you are out of the event. No excuses. From a safety stand point it should be a no brainer, it's the end of July, the grass can be very dry and all it takes is one cigarette that was thought to be put out and now you have a grass fire sweeping down rows of airplanes filled with high octane fuel. Good God how hard is it to see the danger in that. And also lets keep in mind not only is 100ll in it's liquid form flammable but even more so is the fumes.

I think we can all agree that smoking does not belong on the flight line or near airplanes. When I used to smoke I would go to the designated smoking areas, have my cigarette and dispose of it in a butt can. Not everyone has the courtesy to follow that. If I was one of the fuelers out there I would be irate if I smelled smoke and I've asked people to put out there smoking materials in the past and will continue to do so.

Everyone take a deep breath and I think we can all agree that smoking needs to be policed way better and I certainly hope that the EAA realizes that this is a problem, especially after Monday when even Danny Clisham called out someone he saw smoking from the announcer stand.
    This is spot on. Even if you impose an outright no smoking ban on the entire grounds, people are still going to smoke, thinking somehow that the ban doesn't apply to them. Strict enforcement of existing rules will solve the problem and I like the idea of two strikes and you're out.

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by krw920 View Post
    This is spot on. Even if you impose an outright no smoking ban on the entire grounds, people are still going to smoke, thinking somehow that the ban doesn't apply to them. Strict enforcement of existing rules will solve the problem and I like the idea of two strikes and you're out.
    Agree, but "the EAA" who should be strictly enforcing the rules are you and me and every other member. Many times at Sun n Fun, Oshkosh and other gatherings I have spoken to a smoker who was smoking where he / she should not have been, and each time the smoker thanked me for the remindder and extingushed the cigarette.

WE are the EAA.

BJC

I totally agree, I've asked people to put out cigarettes in the past at Oshkosh. In fact I had one gentleman tell that it was ok because he was a pilot. I informed him that per FAA regulations there is to be no smoking within 50 feet of a refueling operation. He quickly put his cigarette out.

Are we going to stop every smoker? No, but I believe that we can crack down on how many are out on the flight line by politely asking those that have lit up to put it out. If they refuse than it's time to get EAA staff and security involved.