Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smokers Flout The Rules

Smokers Flout The Rules

And here we see why smoking should not be allowed anywhere on the grounds. These two people, both of whom are smoking, were just a few yards upwind from the B-17 on the west ramp about an hour before the Bentley concert. I went to find a west ramp crew member, who said he would find security, but did not. When I saw a group of security guys a few minutes later, I told them about the smokers and they said they would check things out. By then the couple had probably finished their cigarettes.

BTW, NONE of the EAA personnel with whom I spoke knew that smoking wasn't allowed in that area!

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that some people are stupid enough to smoke a few yards upwind from an irreplaceable airplane. I looked at the map of the grounds. The ultralight smoking area is just on the other side of the barn from the boundary fence. The vintage and warbird smoking areas are a few hundred feet away from the fence, as is the smoking area behind the Wearhouse. If people need to smoke that badly, they are never too far from the boundary fence.

It's way past time to ban smoking from the grounds.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ban smoking and all you get is many people hiding and smoking in places that, they do not belong and should not be smoking near. Let's start with enforcing ( I mean really enforcing ) the smoke free areas.

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by BeagleOne View Post
    It's way past time to ban smoking from the grounds.
    Agree 100%.

BJC

I agree ban smoking completely.
    States visited with my Piper Challenger

I could smell cigarette smoke in a few of the port-o-sans. (don't ask if I seen any butts). Also could smell cigarette smoke around the grounds a few times. Most people follow the rules. Some don't and don't care. I agree. Safety is an issue. It's probably time for a total ban.

If the current rules aren't enforced why would we believe that a total ban would be enforced? Like so many things, enforce the rules we have before making other rules.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

I can see both sides of it, enforcing the existing areas or banning it entirely, but I am in favor of the latter...a good start would be to be sure that all of the EAA volunteers and employees know what the smoking policy is. I saw this guy today outside the Sky Shoppe, next to the Federal Pavilion. From the map I'm not sure if this is a smoking area, it looks like the area is farther south, by the Brown Arch. Shoot, I'm old enough to remember when there was a chain-link fence at Brown Arch level and no one could bring any drinks or food around the airplanes. I know times have changed and I don't mean to imply that smokers should be ostracized, but there are places you just shouldn't have things that are on fire! And if I've seen three people violating the policy in two days, I can just imagine how much smoking is going on in the non-smoking areas.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BeagleOne View Post
    I can see both sides of it, enforcing the existing areas or banning it entirely, but I am in favor of the latter...a good start would be to be sure that all of the EAA volunteers and employees know what the smoking policy is. I saw this guy today outside the Sky Shoppe, next to the Federal Pavilion. From the map I'm not sure if this is a smoking area, it looks like the area is farther south, by the Brown Arch.
    If there's a butt can close by it's a smoking area. The map is kind of useless for identifying smoking areas. I know, I'm a recovering smoker, 6 months now smoke free and I'm very pleased with the results so far.

This is my very first Oshkosh as a non-smoker and I'm good. I know where every butt can is on the property from many years past and so far I haven't seen anyone smoking away from them.

Love the pic of the elderly lady sitting on scooter obliviously smoking away on Boeing Square. Reminds me of people attached to IV's smoking outside of hospitals. And speaking of Boeing Square has anyone else seen the irony of the Airbus 350 parked on Boeing Square right next to the large Boeing exhibit. These guys are sworn enemies.

IMO, I too believe there are enough rules in place and a total ban would be cruel and unusual punishment. EAA just needs to fully enforce the current rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    If there's a butt can close by it's a smoking area. The map is kind of useless for identifying smoking areas. I know, I'm a recovering smoker, 6 months now smoke free and I'm very pleased with the results so far.

This is my very first Oshkosh as a non-smoker and I'm good. I know where every butt can is on the property from many years past and so far I haven't seen anyone smoking away from them.

Love the pic of the elderly lady sitting on scooter obliviously smoking away on Boeing Square. Reminds me of people attached to IV's smoking outside of hospitals. And speaking of Boeing Square has anyone else seen the irony of the Airbus 350 parked on Boeing Square right next to the large Boeing exhibit. These guys are sworn enemies.

IMO, I too believe there are enough rules in place and a total ban would be cruel and unusual punishment. EAA just needs to fully enforce the current rules.

Floats,
    Congratulations!!! I am on my first week of being reformed. Any tips? How do you feel after 6 months?
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post

much easier to enforce a total ban. If someone is smoking anywhere on the grounds, they are ejected from the grounds. No claim of I thought this was a smoking area because the entire grounds are non smoking.
    Last edited by miemsed; 07-22-2015 at 05:29 PM.
    States visited with my Piper Challenger