Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Scholler Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by TedK View Post
    That looks more like a Tennessee "T" on the chairs to me, but my eyesight is no longer eagle-eyed.
    Correct! But they always say Oshkosh can't function without Volunteers!!

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Correct! But they always say Oshkosh can't function without Volunteers!!
    That is a good one! Very funny!

I can add to the stories about campers and rules. I was camped near a large GA manufacturers "compound" ( won t name them , they have a chute in back of plane that pops out when they forget how to fly......I know I will catch flak for that one), anyway, after their all night loud party's, they would leave the fully stocked bar unatended outside in full view of anyone walking by. I sure noticed a lot of kids eyeing that area. I tried to get security to talk to them. Actually saw a conversation between them and security, but nothing was done. Situation lasted all week.
    Bill L

So this year was my first trip to Oshkosh. After several years of reading all the whining threads after every year's convention I was worried about what to expect.

My conclusion: most of you all are too sensitive. I camped in a tent in the 24hr generator area and on Schaik about 100yds from the fly-in theater. Were there scooters? Yes. Were there generators? Yes. Were there large RVs? Yes. Was there a lot of late traffic when the theater let out? Yes.

But it was not nearly as bad as half of you make it out to be. Sometimes I wonder if we all go to the same place in July.
    Classic airplanes at historic Red Stewart Airfield, Waynesville, OH: http://s1075.beta.photobucket.com/us...ic%20Airplanes

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Delene View Post
    My neighbors were nice in the 'North 40', no issues.
    HBC was just lovely!! And when I went to bed, I put in earplugs so I could sleep. Worked well. And as already pointed out, that's a Tennessee "T" on those chairs.
    Last edited by Low Pass; 07-31-2015 at 10:35 AM.

I camped in Scholler this year (second time) and it was great. The port a potties were clean, the people were mostly quite and the traffic was light. Now, I was way out at 11th and Lindbergh so I was deeper into the campground but it was good just like last year. You could sit out in the evening and watch the ultralights and blimp fly around. You could even see the night airshow and fireworks from my site. I have no complaints about the camping or the show. I had a great time again and will definitely be back next year.

This was, I guess, my eighth year camping in Scholler, and I thought it was as nice as usual. There are folks with obnoxious generators, for sure. But when they're tucked behind their bus/camper/whatever, "they" don't notice how obnoxious they are. But the rest of us certainly do, don't we?

The ATV/UTV/Cart traffic was exceptionally high this year, I thought. There really isn't a need for these things, in my opinion. Put on your walking shoes and get moving. The "bike park" looks like a dang ATV sales lot during the show! Not Scholler, but the impact is felt there as well.

I like when the unique carts and what-not travel through, Scholler, though. In years past I've seen motorized recliners and the like. Or bikes with propellers. They add character to the experience. But the proliferation of ATVs and carts, not so much.

Shower facilities were in good repair much of the time, but some of them were down a couple of days with broken nozzles and such. I'd figure that the cleaning crews would make a note of that during the closure time and get them fixed, but it seemed to take longer this year. I think it would be nice to have a "help line" posted that we could call in the case of a broken fixture.

Other than that, Scholler was as nice and accommodating as usual.
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    People completely oblivious to their actions and having no, none, zero, zilch respect for their neighbors.

So here I am, tenting it amongst another large group of tents. I come back to the site after noon to get out of the sun and find this thing parked right next to us. No problem. Bring what you got. About 20 minutes later I'm dozing off and they fire up an industrial strength (loud) generator. I'm in my tent getting gassed and deafened from them being parked upwind. I get out just in time to see them closing all their windows and getting ready to spend the afternoon in the comfort of their A/C. A little common courtesy would suggest not parking next to a bunch of tents if you are planning to use a generator all day. At the very least, get a Honda, not the cheapest surplus made in china refurb for sale at oil-rigs-r-us.
    Turtle,

It's not just the big RVs and converted buses. I have a pop-up, which in use is little more than a tent with an above-ground floor. (At least as far as sound coming in.) A few years ago we had 3 young guys camped across the road from us in a similar pop-up, and they had the loudest generator I believe I have ever heard. One afternoon they had it running for several hours straight. (Don't know if they were using their crock-pot for dinner?) On several occasions I was ready to go across the street and shut it off for them. When it finally did stop, the cheer that went up through that side of Scholler was louder then for some of the airshow acts.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by skyfixer8 View Post
    ... after their all night loud party's, they would leave the fully stocked bar unattended outside in full view of anyone walking by....

Darn, Bill, they left it out for anybody to hep theyseffs, that was darn right neighborly of them, didn't you pick up any fix'ns from them?

No Mike, by the time I got there, kids had already taken the good stuff. All I got was beer.

Bill L