This whole government-selected word "Experimental" - remember that doesn't mean my airplane is an experiment, it means it is marked per a government-established requirement. Since when do we believe the government does everything right, much less something so subtle as accurately labeling my custom-built exact replica of a proven, flight-tested design? I prefer the label "custom-built exact replica of a proven, flight-tested design", but those aren't the words I'm allowed to use. I'm no experimenter. I want to KNOW it will work before I go up. That's for darned sure.

Then there are "the experimenters", who want to design-their-own, extensively modify a design, try a "new type" of engine - whatever. Those are experiments. Great work. Carry on. Discover new things. That I can then either purchase or duplicate...

Ok, so where does that leave this category that I believe most of us custom-builders of exact replicas are building? Is there a snappy, 1-2 word, ~15 character max "label" that we would prefer our airplanes be required to carry?

I'm feeling the need for a distinction after reading too many posts that contain the phrase "that's why they call it experimental". No, mine's not. My wife and family won't stand for me doing experiments at thousands of feet above the ground at 100+ mph. I actually had that conversation - they don't want me building any design that isn't already proven.