Ok, my examples still haven't got where I thought I might get. Here's an example from just this week. I have a friend at work who is into racing cars. Another example that sounds different from "non-street legal derivatives of passenger automobiles". Notice they don't call 'em "non-street legals" (hmm... maybe they do - World of Outlaws: woosprint.com woolms.com). I was asking him about the Indy Cars race in Vegas that he was at last weekend, but being a turning-gas-into-noise fan, I brought up Copperstate and why he (or anyone into power and speed) might be interested in spending a good part of the day on Saturday to drive up to see those kinds of gas-into-noise machines. Does that create another Sport Pilot? Does that generate more sales for the E-AB industry? Probably not. But he tells his friends, they tell their friends, and maybe Copperstate sells a few more tickets next year... And maybe some of those guys decide they want to try a flight or something...

Any vernacular you prefer to use in casual conversation other than "Experimental" that's not along the lines of "bug smasher"? Or must we all use the legally-prescribed terminology in casual conversation?

FWIW, the BD-5 derivative little jet was AWESOME. The couple of passes by the Warbirds (big, round-engine types) were likewise, AWESOME.