Thread: Repairman Certificate and Compensation

Repairman Certificate and Compensation

I was answering a message about getting the yearly inspection performed on a purchased homebuilt. I was going to say something like, "Of course, you'll have to pay an A&P to perform the Condition Inspection, unless you can convince the the holder of the original Repairman Certificate to perform it."

A curious thought then struck. Is there any reason the owner of an Experimental Amateur-Built Repairman Certificate can't charge for the Condition Inspection? I don't see anything in Part 65 that would prevent it....

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Is there any reason the owner of an Experimental Amateur-Built Repairman Certificate can't charge for the Condition Inspection? I don't see anything in Part 65 that would prevent it....
    There is no rule that prevents the holder of the RC from charging money for signing off the Condition Inspection. She's allowed to do it per the Op-Limits, and there's nothing there (or anywhere else, for that matter) that says she's got to do it for free.

Of course, when they do that (sign off the CI for a subsequent owner of the aircraft), they're taking money out of my pocket and causing my child to have to beg on the street, but some folks just have no compassion, I guess...

I'm always a bit amazed at the lawfulness of the pilot community.

If the holder of the Repairman Certificate of an airplane I bought for him does the condition inspection and I hand over some money, who's to know? If they did, why would they care? And who exactly is "they?" The FAA has neither the manpower or the willingness to bother with such things. The IRS? Please. The Repairman has the rights to inspect specific aircraft - the one(s) he built - and only them, so it's not like he's putting up a shingle as Joe's Inspection Service.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    I'm always a bit amazed at the lawfulness of the pilot community.
    Interesting observation. I think it's a combination of the conservative bent of the pilot community (conservatives often being law-and-order types*) as well as the fact that pilot training emphasizes following rules. From the laws of physics, to the Federal Air Regulations, even to those aspects of local laws that touch on flight. Maintain thy airspeed, keep 500 feet away from people/things, etc.

*(Except homebuilders. We is outlaws :-)

Think about it. Despite decades since our initial training, how many of own near-current copies of the Federal Aviation Regulations (or links to online equivalents). Now, how may people with Driver's Licenses still own a copy of their state's Driver's Manual? Most of you can probably quote the VFR cloud-clearance rules verbatim, but how many can directly cite their state's regulations for following distance?

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 07-15-2015 at 10:37 AM. Reason: *)@*&^ WYSIWYG editor and IE

I guess I always looked at the rules as guidance, as I do all rules.

For example, let's take the three-full-stop-landings-in-ninety-days rule for taking passengers in a conventional gear aircraft. It makes sense. And it also doesn't make sense. The spirit of the rule is to make sure the pilot doesn't ground loop with an unsuspecting soul on board. But if the last time I flew was three months ago and I had my three full stop landings in the same day 89 days ago, I might be legal but not really correct to the spirit. So I'll go around the patch with the excuse of letting them see what the plane looks like, park it, load them, and then take them up.

In the same vein, if I've done two full stop landings yesterday am I going to count days before that if it's close? Naw. Put them in and give them the "modified cargo" safety speech.* That may seem like I'm a reckless sort of fellow, but am I really?

The "passenger can only pay for half the gas" rule also makes sense. The FAA wants to eliminate the prospect of Uber style pilots running off the books charter services. I've never asked for a passenger to pay for the gas (but they can buy me lunch afterwards), but what if they paid for all of it, settling up with the gas man while I was in the hangar? Do I call the FAA AVGAS Payment Enforcement Squad and turn myself in? Or do I say "next time's on me, okay?" I know I wouldn't stress over it.

We all do this on every flight when we measure our physical conditions. Forget what the FAA says about your fitness - if you feel crummy and like you are coming down with something, give the flight a pass.

That and in reading the rules of Aviation I found them to be permissive rather than restrictive. 500 feet away from stuff, VFR rules, odd and even altitudes based on direction, and left hand pattern unless otherwise noted...unless in controlled airspace or it's specifically notated on the chart as restricted. There is so much freedom and latitude in flying that it's a really liberating activity (and talking to my European friends something we take for granted).

* Cargo doesn't move around. Cargo doesn't touch things. Cargo stays strapped down. You are special cargo, however, in that you can see stuff and tell me about it if you think it's weird, like smoke or things falling off the aircraft or another aircraft around us.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.