Thread: Overhaul IO240B

Overhaul IO240B

Hi. I am new on here (but longtime EAA member) - not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but here goes. I have a run-out IO240B engine with the wrong logbooks. I plan to put it in an almost finished modified WAR FW190. Have not been able to find anyone interested in working on it locally (near Dallas) and wonder if you folks might know of someone?? Also what would you think would be a reasonable price for overhaul or top assuming no significant damages?? It has no prop strikes. Thanks for any information. Take care.

Robert

An IO-240 is no different to overhaul than any other aircraft engine. Asking what it will cost to overhaul an engine is akin to asking what it's going to cost to repair a wrecked car without ever seeing the car. Nobody is going to give you an answer because they simply don't know until everything is apart and goes through the machine shop for magniflux and/or dye penetrate check. For instance. Is the crank good? I have overhauled a number of engines where the crank measured good, then was found to be cracked once it was at the machine shop. It's an unknown. Same for the cam, cam followers, lifters, rods, rod bushings, cylinders, engine case, internal drive gears, and accessory case. I have seen every one of these listed parts look good, but found to be damaged or failing when scrutinized in the machine shop. So asking for a cost for overhaul is a loaded question. The answers you get range from not much, assuming everything is good, to a ton of $$ assuming everything is bad. The actual cost will fall somewhere in between.

And then there's the quality of overhaul/repair. Do you want it overhauled to service limits, or do you want it overhauled to meet new specs? There's a difference, in both cost and quality of the product.

I can't believe there are no shops in the Dallas area capable or willing to overhaul an IO-240. But what I can believe is that prehaps unknown to you, you are asking them to answer a question about costs that they really can't answer. To me, if I put on my A&P hat, that usually indicates an owner that wants an engine overhauled on the cheap. I would be expected to do less than perfect work for little $$, then stand behind it after it leaves my shop. I'd lose interest in a hurry with that circumstance. That may not be your intent at all, but may be how they are hearing your questions.

You might try a different approach and talk to the shops about the various potential costs depending on what the engine needs. That would allow you to get a better handle on the potential costs.

One other caveat. Insurance for engine overhauls is incredibly expensive. Most larger shops that perform major airframe repair and engine repair don't do engine overhauls any more due to the cost of liability insurance. As a consequence, most of the engine overhauls are performed by either small shops that are uninsured, or engine overhaul shops that specialize in engines.

I would check with your local EAA chapter. I would bet there is a member there that is an A&P that can help you out. Or a member that simply likes building engines. Or a member that has been in your position that has a good recommendation for who you should talk to about your engine.

-Cub Builder

1000$ times hp will give you a ballpark for most engines to approach the wife with eg 200hp =20000$ should keep you from sticker shock with a reasonable core

I know of an AP/IA in southeast Wisconsin that specializes in small Continentals. PM me if you would like his name and number.