Thread: Special vets

Special vets

I am looking at a story of a Douglas C-47 owned by the CAF which has been found to be the very one that lead the invasion on D day, and is being restored.

One of my favorite veterans groups was the paratroopers from D day, may have been 82nd, and 101Airborne, I am not sure.
    But some years ago, maybe 2004, 60 years on, there were big celebrations at Normandy to honor those who had taken part in the invasion that began the end of the war in Europe.
    There were a group of dozens of men who had parachuted into France that morning behind the beaches and into enemy held territory.
    They wanted to recreate that jump. At first our government was going to help, and even supply a C-130 as the jump plane over Normandy.
    Then some pansy bureaucrats and lawyers got involved and queered the deal. You would think the Pres would step in and see that these men got the help they had earned so many years before. But the naysayers said the men were too old, ( some were in 70s, maybe even 80). So no C-130 plane, no American govt help for some of our best men.
    These old guys didn't quit, they told the U S to kiss butt, and they were going anyway. They found a civilian C-47 to drop them and on June 6 th they jumped as before, including with the old style round chutes. They knew the risks, but this was what they wanted and they made it, only a minor sprain or scratch or two.
    And thanks to the French govt who did not yield to pressure from the U S and helped these men.
    Lots of people can talk a good game, these guys did it and twice. One said it was a lot easier now than the first time with no one shooting at them now.
    One man said he was nearing the end of life and the Normandy landing was the most significant thing he had ever done and he wanted to honor it and those that weren't here any longer with this last jump.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 07-13-2015 at 10:32 PM.

One of the men who taught me free fall skydiving was Carl Beck, who parachuted into St Mere Eglise the night of June 6, 1944 as part of the 82nd airborne. Carl was 17 and had lied to get into the Army. Carl also made the jump into Holland.

Carl reported that in 1969 his telephone rang. It was one of his 82nd Airborne buddies. The question was "Its been 25 years. How would you like to reinvade France?" Those guys were just as crazy in middle age as they were in 1944. The French military provided aircraft and gear and the town turned out and had a big party. If you were there that night in 1944, you can do no wrong in St Mere Eglise. A place in France where they still love Americans.

That jump got Carl interested in sport skydiving, so he came home and made another 1000 jumps or so. I will note that he had an eye shot out in Holland and he did the jump for the 25th, 30th, and I think 35th, and his sport skydiving, with that handicap. A real character and one example of why they call those guys "the greatest generation".

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Happy

Great story Wes.There is Paris and there is the rest of France (sound like another country?) Outside Paris they do not dislike Americans. In Normandy they still like Americans. I have been there several times, both for military commemorations and with tour groups. The French there still seem very much to remember and appreciate what the Americans and the Canadians did. (The British, not so much. The French and the British may fight the Germans from time to time, but they both remember that their real enemy is on the other side of the channel.) I have found, over the past 35 years or so, that although our civilian governments may disagree from time to time or more often, the French and U.S. militaries always get along well and are always eager to provide each other whatever support is needed (or as much as our civilian governments allow.)
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com