Thread: Homebuilt parking

Homebuilt parking

Is there any way to get in homebuilt parking and not be on the flight line? ( too many hands) I guess there is a area behind the sea of RV's. Or as an alternative park ing
    homebuilt camping but not camp?

Technically the entire homebuilt area is the "flight line." You mean you want to be further back from the runway. I suspect you can always hold up an HBC sign and get routed back there and just never pitch a tent.

It's always been my contention that they ought not to segregate out the non-campers anyhow. Of course, I've always been a camper and bristled about those spaces reserved up front by those who park and disappear. The argument with the Vintage guys goes like this:

ME: Leaving rows reserved up front for parkers is silly.
    CHAIR: People come to see airplanes not tents.
    ME: I come to talk to airplane owners, pilots, and restorers and they're more likely to be found in their campsite than by a parked airplane.

I think the question is, can I park somewhere the general public cant get too. The answer to that i believe is NO. However, i have to say that the folks at Osh are pretty respectfull compared to most of the other flyins I've been to.

In Homebuilt, the area of parking east of Homebuilt Camping is known as Area 51, and I am the volunteer chairman for that area, so I think I can answer your question. Area 51 is sometimes referred to as the "Sea of RVs" and we park the RVs there, mostly because it is the only area large enough to park them all together. However, as the homebuilt fleet has expanded and as space on the flightline has been reduced (chalets...) more and more homebuilts are being parked in Area 51 every year. In fact, we have taken over most of what was the Red auto parking lot five years ago. While the area is accessible to the general public, the crowds are far smaller back there and mostly made up of other homebuilders who go to seek out specific types.

The prime real estate up front (near the brown arch) is used for special parking which changes year to year, and depending on the size can displace other airplanes north and west. For example, this being the Pitts anniversary, we expect a large turnout and will park them in this area. Last year it was the Breezy 50th anniversary and we put them there (13 Breezys on the field, something that has probably never happened.)

For the large, heavy types (Lancair 4, Velocity, etc) we park them just off the hard surface in what used to be the north commercial display area, much of which moved towards the main gate when they expand the exhibit space a few years back.

So, to answer your question, depending on your type, you might just get parked where you want to be without even asking. If the marshallers direct you towards the flightline, just tell them that you would like to park back in Area 51 and I'm sure we can accommodate you. Do not show an HBC sign or you will be directed to HBC and will be charged the camping fees. Of course, if you don't mind paying, then have at it.

Of course, like everything at Oshkosh, it's first come, first served so this is all dependent on space being available. I hope this answers your question.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Thank you for your input.