Thread: Will Aluminum Overcast tour & book flights like in 2014 ?

Will Aluminum Overcast tour & book flights like in 2014 ?

Can anyone tell me if Aluminum Overcast will be booking flights in Frederick MD this year as they did in 2014? I have searched and cant find any info. I sure would like to go up in the nose of that one again, what a thrill!

Thanks, Henry

Sad

Aluminum Overcast is done with their East Coast venues for this year. The closest they came to Fredrick this year was Manassas, Virginia, for the Arsenal of Democracy fly-over. They stayed for the better part of a week after that. It moved from there to Allentown, PA. Missed you to either side.I don't know how things went at Allentown, but the plane was fully booked for its length of stay in Manassas. The publicity for Arsenal of Democracy helped!The schedule is posted on the EAA website under flight experiences.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Sorry I missed it in Manassas. I just read where they had like 80 flights booked, wow! Thanks, maybe next year.

Yeah, I realized it was here when two friends who are on the AO crew came up to us on the DC Mall when we were down there to watch the flyover.

I am surprised that there were some in the community here that did know that it was in Manassas for, like a week, with the rest of the four-engined bombers for Arsenal of Democracy. There were radio spots and of course it was posted on the EAA website. Oh, and I gave a day by day update in another string on this forum.

The CAF B-17 arrived May 2 for the Manassas Airshow and stayed until the 10th (It was supposed to leave the day before but had some maintenance issues.) AO arrived May 6th and stayed until the 13th. It flew a lot more than 80. I think more like double that, but I need to look it up. Our chapter "hosted" AO and we got briefed on the full numbers afterwards. I volunteered most of the week and thousands came. I skipped mother's day, thinking the crowds would be light. I was wrong. Apparently a lot of the locals convinced their wives that the best way to say "Happy Mother's Day" was touring WW2 bombers.

So far, I have been told that the plans are for it NOT to come by this way on its 2016 tour.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Not an EAA event, but for those who missed the ground portion of Arsenal of Democracy, there is a late breaking opportunity in the Northern Virginia area. The Collings Foundation "Wings of Freedom Tour" will have a P-51C, a B-24 (Witchcraft), and a B-17 (Nine-O-Nine) operating out of Winchester, VA (KOKV) tomorrow (October 13) and Stafford airport (KRMN) October 14-16. I found out about this while refueling at RMN today. I was told that the planes were supposed to be touring the Southeast, but the recent hurricane and aftereffects caused a rerouting of the tour.

Not EAA, but living history nonetheless.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com