Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EAA needs your vote!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jalsup View Post
    EAA was able to access the tens of thousands on this site from places far, far away from OSH to help skew the results
    You are exactly right. EAA was competing against local charities that promote literacy, environment, arts, history, and such, yet they sought out people from far outside the area to take money from worthwhile local charities.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmutz2 View Post
    You are exactly right. EAA was competing against local charities that promote literacy, environment, arts, history, and such, yet they sought out people from far outside the area to take money from worthwhile local charities.
    That, to me, is incredibly distasteful. It smacks of a rigged game, for ill-defined purposes and kind of a bully-move to boot. If this is the case, and they "won" the grant, they should be incredibly ashamed over their "victory".

When I was a kid our school would have fund-raisers and stuff and if you sold the most cookies, or trashbags, etc - then you would get a prize - like a TV or radio, etc. All the other kids would get their parents to take the sign-up sheets to work and sell to co-workers. My parents...not so much. Their response was "It isn't OUR job to do your job - go door to door and learn how to sell if you want to win - because that is part of the entire experience of doing this". I would invariably lose to the people that had better parents than me...but I did what I could, went door to door, and lost. Those people that took the shortcut are basically a metaphor for EAA.

SO EAA - did you "win"? If so, how about explaining, in detail, how these funds will be used in the community, what specific goals for the community these plans serve, how you will measure its impact, etc? Some detail about this issue is the least you could do for manipulating the system, and your membership like this.

When I have been to EAA and Oshkosh for the last 28 years, as well as nearby towns like Fon du Lac, I have almost always met friendly people who, at least on the surface, seemed to like EAA, and be very glad that EAA had brought so many people, and so much to the economy of the area, and state; I have read a figure I think of $50 million or more.
    Obviously, not everyone has a positive attitude toward EAA: Matt and Jal are two exceptions. Maybe the long Wisconsin winter just got them down.

I assume the local charity donation group knows about EAA and whether or not they want it to be included and eligible for such a grant. Maybe they should have held the voting in person some way so only local residents could be counted, or maybe specify the only organizations below a certain size be eligible for the grant.

I think EAA should consider giving the grant money back to the locals, let them use it as they decide. Or if taking the money maybe it can all be specifically used for a program like bringing underprivileged kids to the museum or Pioneer airport for some activity or even airplane rides.

I am sure that Osh has many needs other than aviation. I have read of a lot of alcohol problems in the area, and judging by the fact that the town can't even afford any scheduled air service, I'd guess there are problems with unemployment not counting the boom the Oshkosh Trucking has gotten from military spending the last 10 years.

As for services, just for me, getting to fly that Wright flyer simulator is one of the most interesting, fun,and special things that I have done at EAA. Thanks to Ford and EAA for making that available and even free.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-25-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    When I have been to EAA and Oshkosh for the last 28 years, as well as nearby towns like Fon du Lac, I have almost always met friendly people who, at least on the surface, seemed to like EAA, and be very glad that EAA had brought so many people, and so much to the economy of the area, and state; I have read a figure I think of $50 million or more.
    Obviously, not everyone has a positive attitude toward EAA: Matt and Jal are two exceptions. Maybe the long Wisconsin winter just got them down.

I assume the local charity donation group knows about EAA and whether or not they want it to be included and eligible for such a grant. Maybe they should have held the voting in person some way so only local residents could be counted, or maybe specify the only organizations below a certain size be eligible for the grant.

I think EAA should consider giving the grant money back to the locals, let them use it as they decide. Or if taking the money maybe it can all be specifically used for a program like bringing underprivileged kids to the museum or Pioneer airport for some activity or even airplane rides.

I am sure that Osh has many needs other than aviation. I have read of a lot of alcohol problems in the area, and judging by the fact that the town can't even afford any scheduled air service, I'd guess there are problems with unemployment not counting the boom the Oshkosh Trucking has gotten from military spending the last 10 years.

As for services, just for me, getting to fly that Wright flyer simulator is one of the most interesting, fun,and special things that I have done at EAA. Thanks to Ford and EAA for making that available and even free.
    Jalsup lives in Kansas City and we've had a mild, mild winter. I would certainly understand that community liking EAA, just as any community enjoys any major revenue generator - but that has nothing to do with the propriety of a bunch of out-of-towners voting on a matter for local charities, the EAA leveraging it's size and making this and effectively rigged-game, and it still does not explain how and what specifically the funds will be used for.

Just for future reference - prior to asking people to vote on something, have the class to explain WHY this is important, how you will not squander the proceeds if I do vote for you, and why this is more key than the other things I can vote for. In short, a better reason than "Hey! Our PR department says vote for this! Do it because we all like airplanes!!!"

Simply having some amount of class and respect for your members demands at least those minimal steps. Troubling that someone working for the organization couldn't figure that out, but since I keep hearing that this is a member-driven organization and all I felt it would be ok for me to help make these exceptionally simple ideas clear.

Ohmygosh, this thread seems to have veered into wild speculation. Instead of posting unfounded inferences that EAA somehow diverted funds away from finding a Cancer cure and toward frivolous activity, folks could have easily found the actual winners in this competition at https://www.cffoxvalley.org/Page.aspx?pid=1038. I think most viewers would conclude that the grants from the Community Foundation of the Fox Valley were appropriately balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    ... judging by the fact that the town can't even afford any scheduled air service, I'd guess there are problems with unemployment....
    While KOSH no longer has scheduled airline service, the service at nearby airports KATW, KGRB, and KMKE would be envied by many U.S. communities with about 60,000 residents. Also, today's Oshkosh Northwestern reports that the 2011 average unemployment rate in Oshkosh was 7.4%, compared with 8.3% in Wisconsin, and 9% in the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Stadler View Post
    Ohmygosh, this thread seems to have veered into wild speculation. Instead of posting unfounded inferences that EAA somehow diverted funds away from finding a Cancer cure and toward frivolous activity, folks could have easily found the actual winners in this competition at https://www.cffoxvalley.org/Page.aspx?pid=1038. I think most viewers would conclude that the grants from the Community Foundation of the Fox Valley were appropriately balanced.

While KOSH no longer has scheduled airline service, the service at nearby airports KATW, KGRB, and KMKE would be envied by many U.S. communities with about 60,000 residents. Also, today's Oshkosh Northwestern reports that the 2011 average unemployment rate in Oshkosh was 7.4%, compared with 8.3% in Wisconsin, and 9% in the nation.
    The premise remains - what exactly is the money being used for, and you should explain your plan prior to asking people to vote.

Fred, I have no doubt that many other Wisconsin cities like Milwaukee have good airline service; but my post and the topic was about Oshkosh, and as I wrote Oshkosh does not have this, and hasn't in years, despite having a sizeable and nice terminal that the airlines used to use. Having airline, both passenger and cargo is a matter of the economic health of an area.

And as for as unemployment goes, it is good that Osh is below the nat av at under 7%. But in looking more in depth at statistics, the median income in Osh is more than $10,000 below that of the state as a whole. So maybe many of the jobs are not at a very high level.
    Osh has the big mall, same as many other towns, and the truck co. and once a year the convention. But in looking around town, my impression is one of some decay in town, like the closing of Pioneer Inn, and some other restaurants. Of course I am only an interested visitor, not an expert on the area.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-25-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Banned

Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Jalsup View Post
    The premise remains - what exactly is the money being used for, and you should explain your plan prior to asking people to vote.
    I agree.

Thank you for participating in the 25 for 25 Charity Challenge. Voting is now closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Stadler View Post
    <snip>... folks could have easily found the actual winners in this competition at https://www.cffoxvalley.org/Page.aspx?pid=1038. <snip>
    Fred, thanks for the link and the info. See you this summer at FLO I hope.

Jim
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem