Thread: Airventure parking

Airventure parking

Not sure whether this should go here or at Airventure.

My warbird is an O-2A, so it doesn't exactly stand out as warbird on landing -- so I have the big WB displayed in the window on landing and make sure the marshalers see it on landing. Nonetheless, four of the 5 times I have come to AirVenture, the flight line winds up sending me other places -- mostly to the North 40 -- until I lose complete confidence and call Warbirds ground for intervention.

Am I doing something wrong? The NOTAM says to call WB only upon arrival at WB parking. Should I be calling WB Ground as soon as I leave the active?

This time I intend on having the dummy weapons mounted on landing, which MIGHT add a visual indicator of where I am going.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

The marshallers aren't looking at airplanes when you are landing. They only look and can see when you are right next to where they are standing on the taxiway. Make sure you have a clear WB and you're holding it towards the flagman directing traffic. Calliing WB ground will do absolutely nothing for you if you're out on the taxiways proper. There's largely no radio communication between the marshallers and anybody else.

If you are being sent obviously the wrong way STOP MOVING when you are near the marshaller and if you must SHUTDOWN the engines (at least the front one) and wait until they have a conversation with you.

Hey Ron, that is usually what I wind up doing. Clear the runway. Stop prior to first marshaler. Wave sign until I get some sort of indication that they read the sign. Follow instructions under the assumption that they have some plan in mind of getting me where I am supposed to be. Wave sign at each subsequent marshaler. Then stop when it becomes obvious their plan is NOT to get me to WB. The difference is that at that point I call WB ground and they tell me to stay where I am and they will come get me.

That it the way it has been four of the five times I have been there over the last six years. I think that there is an education problem among the marshalers (only a few, I am sure, but it only takes a few.) I am just trying to future out a way to avoid the circumnavigation of OSH enroute to the north forty and then the disrupting the flow of traffic needed to of getting me from wherever I am to WB.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

I don't know. I had the reverse problem. One year they sent my Navion to warbirds and the warbirds sent me back to vintage. I was on my second loop when I stopped and let them know that I really did want to go to Vintage.

I'll keep an eye out for your plane (it's pretty distinctive). The marshallers probably know your plane well now. Chairmen from both FLO and VINTAGE were the ones who parket your plane at the Hazy Center on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    Then stop when it becomes obvious their plan is NOT to get me to WB.
    And

That it the way it has been four of the five times I have been there over the last six years. I think that there is an education problem among the marshalers (only a few, I am sure, but it only takes a few.) I am just trying to future out a way to avoid the circumnavigation of OSH enroute to the north forty and then the disrupting the flow of traffic needed to of getting me from wherever I am to WB.
    Allow me to chime in from the perspective of a marshaller. Sometimes the way to get from point A to point B is not as obvious as it would appear. Without an awareness of the bigger picture it might not make sense to you. And unless you are part of the marshaling crew, you don't have the bigger picture no matter how many times you have flown in. You might be sent along a route that might not make sense to you but actually does make sense. So, what is "obviously wrong" to you might be a bit premature, and unless they are directing you to do something unsafe, you should follow the marshallers. Every time you stop to argue the point you end up creating traffic jams behind you.

I have a hard time believing that it went wrong 4 of 5 times. Warbirds does create some confusion coming off 9/27 because there is a "front way" and a "back way" into the Warbirds area, so that might contribute, but that still seems like a high failure rate.

The marshaling system ain't perfect but it is damn good when everyone follows the rules. It might be fun to get us all together at Oshkosh and exchange "stupid marshaller tricks" and "stupid pilot tricks" over beers.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Yes, it was surprising to me too. Last year it went to the point of trying to park me on line in the North 40. Yes, I had come in on 9. I was operating under the assumption that they had some special way of getting me to WB according to their traffic flow. That may have even been the case in the beginning but obviously it broke down somewhere. The other time it was more obvious as they tried to send me past the WB entrance.

Look, I think that the FL people do a great job. I am just asking what I can do to assist in achieving a quality outcome.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

The single best thing anyone can do to improve their success on the ground is to have a BIG, READABLE sign indicating their destination, and hold it up and show it to every single orange vest you see until you get to your spot. Pencil on a 3X5 card won't cut it (I've seen it.) Laying it flat on the glare shield where no one but a bird can read it won't cut it (seen that too.)

Not saying you didn't do this, but just putting it out there for everyone.

Another thing you might consider- sign up to volunteer a few shifts on the flightline while you are at the show. It's a good way to get involved and give something back, and you will gain not only a new bunch of friends but a whole new perspective on how this whole thing runs. Oh, and a cool T-shirt to boot!
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Here is your sign.

Agree with Jeff
    What looks good at your desk at home like Bright Yellow highlighter on white paper may not be readable at 50' through a green tinted windshield and the sun's glare and pair of good sunglasses the the volunteer should be wearing if they are going to be out for any length of time.
    The best signs are BIGGER than 8.5"X11" However, I am aware that dose not fit in many airplanes that come to the show. Next Best are Printed signs for WB use 400+ point font in landscape. If that dose not get you where you need to go then yeah you have a right to be upset. I have attached an example. Remember to make your IFR or VFR signs as well.
    If at all possible keep it up as much as possible. Volunteers are usually trying to spot sings a hundred yards down the line.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I have always used the 8 1/2x11" sign printed in big block letter just as recommended. This year, I had the weapons mounted and I waved and pointed at the sign. I got to the end of the 36 taxiway and the marshaller came up to me this time and said through the storm window, "I really don't know what to do with you!" Called Warbirds ground and they provided some instructions until a guy on a scooter could lead me in.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com