Thread: Wittman Landing Gear Legs - Need a shop that will make them...

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer

Wittman Landing Gear Legs - Need a shop that will make them...

I am specifically trying to find a shop that will build Wittman style flat spring landing gear in steel. I know about Grove Aircraft for flat spring aluminum gear,and I know about Langair for round rod type, but I am having trouble finding a source for the flat type. Lots of fab shops and heat treat shops, but (so far) none interested in the bending... So, anyone have any shops I can contact that might make such a thing?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wsimpso1 View Post
    I am specifically trying to find a shop that will build Wittman style flat spring landing gear in steel. I know about Grove Aircraft for flat spring aluminum gear,and I know about Langair for round rod type, but I am having trouble finding a source for the flat type. Lots of fab shops and heat treat shops, but (so far) none interested in the bending... So, anyone have any shops I can contact that might make such a thing?

Bill
    I'd call Grove and ask about doing the job in steel. Having formerly worked there I don't see why they couldn't bend up a piece of steel in place of aluminum..

Have you tried contacting Tim Hjelle at Fond du Lac Auto Machine? Didn't Arden Hjelle build all of Steve's landing gear? Maybe you could get some leads?