Thread: Seafire Question

Seafire Question

On another site there is a topic complete with photos of a newly restored Spitfire, actually called a Seafire Mk III. It is gorgeous in the photos, but one thing I don't understand is how it can be a Seafire, which is the naval or carrier version of the land plane.
    This one shows pretty clearly in the photos and there is no tailhook, can't be sure of folding wing tips or not.

The site is given as the old RAF Bentwater base in England. It is a Merlin engine which would be correct for that year.

It says there are only 4 Seafires flying in the world so this is a welcome addition, and it has operational history.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 06-17-2015 at 01:35 PM.

Lots of info here about that particular airplane: https://www.flyinglegends.com/aircra...re-lf-iii.html

From what I gather, the early Mk III's did not have folding wings. As for the tailhook, I had a look at the pics - the tailhook is there, just hard to see.

Name:  Seafire.JPG
Views: 1783
Size:  30.4 KB

This is just a model, but it shows how the tailhook retracts almost completely into the lower fuselage.

Name:  Seafire Tailhook.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  84.3 KB

Thanks, Zack, but I am not sure that is the answer. On your model you can pretty well see the tailhook, and in the photos of the real plane it is hard to see, defintiely not hanging down as much, you can't see the whole arm.

Probably I am just not familiar with this model, as the later ones like 47 have the hooks behind the rudder, behind the tailwheel.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 06-17-2015 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    in the other photos of the real airplane it is not there. And that little thing on the picture looks too high and maybe too far forward.
    It is there, exactly like the model. The hook part of the arm is even in the same place, just ahead of the elevator.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Thanks, Zack, but I am not sure that is the answer. On your model you can pretty well see the tailhook, and in the photos of the real plane it is hard to see, defintiely not hanging down as much, you can't see the whole arm.
    Bill, I think the hook is hanging slack in the model picture; midway between its up and its deployed position. Imagine a spatulate thumb pushing it back into the fuselage...the shaft of the hook is curved to match the bottom of the airplane.

Found this artwork of the Mk III, again, the itself hook (retracted) is barely visible, but you can see the outline of the shaft on the bottom of the fuselage.

Ron Wanttaja

MkIII Seafire with its hook down....

A model in work, showing the recess and the tailhook itself.

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 06-17-2015 at 11:04 PM.