Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Camping question

I have a Kelty brand Boy Scout 3 person A-Frame tent. It is great. Stands up to weather and wind, keep you dry. A three man tent that can really fit three adults on low profile cots with some room for gear. Can't quite stand up in it and I don't think I could get two full-size cots in there, but a great tent for what it is supposed to do. I use it for camping with the Scouts. The Cabela "Tent Mahal" is for when the wife brings an element of civilization to the great outdoors.

Update: I just checked and apparently my tent is no longer manufactured.
    Last edited by Mayhemxpc; 06-17-2015 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Updated information
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by wyoranch View Post
    Does anyone know anything about Kelty or Wenger brand tents? There are a few on Craigslist here and I was curious about the quality.

I had a Wenger tent that I bought brand new last year. Total waste of money. I ended up moving into a friends motor home because that Wenger was an excellent water collector! This year I bought a Cabela's Alaskan Guide dome tent. 3 times as expensive as the Wenger, but it should keep me dry!
    Rod Schneider
    RV-6 N164ME
    B-17F N3703G "The Movie Memphis Belle"
    B-17G N390TH "Liberty Belle"
    B-17G N3701G "Ye Olde Pub"
    Liberty Foundation

Browning Camping (made by ALPS Mountaineering) makes quality tents. We purchased the Big Horn model this spring for family and scout camping. It's LARGE cabin style, 15x10 with nearly vertical walls - can easily accommodate 3 queen mattresses and stand-up headroom throughout. It's very well made, uses quality material including steel upright poles.

Endured Oshkosh several years ago in an Ozark Trail tent. We spent an entire day at nearby laundromat drying our stuff after TS. Don't waste your money on Walmart or similar Chinese crap.

Anyone know when web cams on the convention grounds will be turned on ?

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skyfixer8 View Post
    Anyone know when web cams on the convention grounds will be turned on ?
    We hope to have them up about 10 days prior to the start of convention. It all depends on when the wayfinding towers that 3 of the cameras are mounted on can go up.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Hal, that's good news, I always look forward to seeing the cams up and running. I love watching the build-up to EAA Oshkosh. I would be in favor of leaving them up year round. Just think of the labor it would save not having to put them up and take them down. Heck, if the lens would get dirty, you could just run across the field and clean it.

Thank you Hal.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psvinny View Post
    Heck, if the lens would get dirty, you could just run across the field and clean it.
    Across the field...and up about 50 feet.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

vinny, I would pay to see the running AND the climbing

Since this thread seems to deal with camping question*s*, here is another one: a friend and I, travelling together in one car, intend to share one campsite. Since we are flying across the Atlantic and have to pack our tent(s), sleeping bags, etc. into our one-suitcase-each, along with our clothes, we are each bringing our own small tent - we couldn't fit a tent holding the two of us in either suitcase. According to the General Camping Guidelines, this means we need to rent two campsites? 60 feet by 20 feet to hold one car and two tents that together are smaller than most tents, even storage tents, described above?
    (By the way, I bought my tent in a general supermarket on the way to a British airshow when I realised I'd forgotten my old tent at home. If I'm not mistaken, it cost me c.50 USD, but it has now served me through 4 or 5 AirVentures, and the only time I've got wet was when I got caught in a downpour while setting up the tent - even an economy car can be a really convenient windbreak.)