Thread: Which Paint ?

Which Paint ?

I am restoring a '56 Cessna 172 and now I have to paint the wings. Which is easier to use, Randthane enamel or JetGlo?
    It seems that JetGlo has a more complicated primer requirement and that is also a factor.
    I am not the best painter so I need to chose the one with easiest application.

Roy

Roy,

I saw your post this morning. I work for Scheme Designers & forwarded your question to one of the paint shops off our referral list. Ken (KD Aviation) responded with this -

I would recommend Acryglo, not Jetglo. Both are Sherwin Williams products. Acryglo is an acrylic urethane and a bit more user friendly. Top of the line paint as well.
    I hope this helps a little with your decision-making. I know what you mean about the challenges involved with painting. I'm very skilled at achieving the orange peel look myself

Quote Originally Posted by Janet Davidson View Post
    Roy,

I saw your post this morning. I work for Scheme Designers & forwarded your question to one of the paint shops off our referral list. Ken (KD Aviation) responded with this -

I hope this helps a little with your decision-making. I know what you mean about the challenges involved with painting. I'm very skilled at achieving the orange peel look myself
    Thanks Janet;
    Sounds like good advice. I called Randolph today and talked to customer service. It sounds like Ranthane is too involved and problematic to use.
    thanks again.
    Roy

Just be sure if spraying these urethanes that you use the recommended respirators. The problem with many of these things is they don't smell bad enough to let you know that you're breathing an unhealthy amount of fumes.

I would stay away from the enamels. They just don't age well. I've used quite a bit of PolyUrethane and Acrylic Urethane over the last few years. Acrylic Urethane is definitely the more user friendly and pocketbook friendly. It sprays very much like the Acrylic Enamels, but holds up much better with age. As previously mentioned, make sure you are using the correct protection and plenty of fresh air.

-Cub Builder

I have almost decided to go with AcryGlo. Which is the best primer: High Solids or the Wash Primer?
    BOTH are plenty expensive. Whew !!!
    Roy

It's not an EITHER - OR thing. If you have bare aluminum that's not been alodined/alclad/anodized, you use the wash primer first. You always want to apply the high solids primer after that (or if you don't need the wash primer) by itself.