Thread: Ethanol in Fuel.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation Ethanol in Fuel.

Greetings All,
    I live in St. George, Utah. It is located 2 hours northeast of Las Vegas, NV. We just went to the pumps to get fuel for my Rotax 912, it now has ethanol. It was the last place in town that we know of. Does any one local know of a place that we have missed or within an hour drive? Is there a web-site that tracks pumps that do not have ethanol? Starting to build a DR-107!!!

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=UT

This is the only one I've found so far. However they are listing sort of on the honor system. In other words, they may be wrong. Someone had listed a number of gas stations near me and when I checked them - all were incorrect. But, hopefully, that was an isolated situation.....
    Please post anything better that you find!

I was at a local Central California AM/PM (ARCO) the other day, trying to determine if the pump I was using contained alcohol. I looked at every word on the pump, the canopy stanchion, the credit card processing island, everywhere- and not a single word concerning the blend was to be found.

How does one determine if the mogas about to be dispensed has alcohol in it or not???

Pat

I believe it is the law that stations selling gas containing ethanol must label the pumps as such. This does not, of course, guarantee that the station is obeying the law. The only way to be sure is to test it for yourself (it's easy; search the web if you don't know how).

Rotax does allow up to 10% ethanol now. I would avoid ethanol in my fuel if I could, but I don't have that option in Connecticut.

Not in California. Used to be true - but no longer. See this from Gas Buddy:
    The fifteen states that don't require stations to tell you if the gasoline contains ethanol: (alphabetically) California, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, and Ohio.

you can test the gas for ethanol. check with EAA for there test kit or someone will chime in on how to do it, very easy to do with a test tube.
    Ed DArcy 'Turbo'
    R-44 N7511G 1,300 hrs / RV-6 N26ED 4,700 hrs / helicycle 100 hrs
    Stuart, FL Hartford,Ct Virgin Gorda, BVI

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Rotax does allow up to 10% ethanol now. I would avoid ethanol in my fuel if I could, but I don't have that option in Connecticut.
    Yes, Rotax allows use of ethanol, but don't forget that the airframe (if certified) must also allow for the use of ethanol added mogas.
    KSCessnaDriver
    ATP MEL, Commercial Lighter Than Air-Airship, SEL, CFI/CFII
    Private SES

Thanks everyone for the response! What are Utah state laws concerning ethanol? Why the big push to have it in fuel when it make no sense to produce?