Thread: Pilot's Bill of Rights - Less than a 5% Chance of Passing??

Pilot's Bill of Rights - Less than a 5% Chance of Passing??

Any truth to this?? From an e-mail received from the www.100dollarhamburger website. States that the Pilot's Bill of Rights is a LONG way away, if ever unless prompt action is taken by the aviation community.

3rd Class Medical UPDATE!

On February 25th, with congratulations and back slapping all around, members of the largest aviation organizations and their counterparts in Congress hailed the introduction of the Pilot’s Bill of Rights 2 in both the House and the Senate. Its major feature does away with the 3rd Class Medical.

The FAA had foot dragged this issue for so long that Congress was cajoled into action. The theory was that they would fast track this important legislation and force the FAA to act and disallow enforcement actions after the law was passed by Congress and signed by the President.

General Aviation's greatest friend in the upper chamber, Senator Jim Inhofe from Oklahoma sponsored S. 571. Twenty-two Senators co-sponsored the bill.

In the House our champion, Representative Sam Graves of Missouri brought forth the same legislation titled, H.R. 1062. Ninety-eight Representatives co-sponsored the bill.

The $100 Hamburger staff has been tracking the bills' progress.

Here’s where things stand.

In the House, it has been assigned to four Committees for “consideration”. The Senate has passed it along to only one. To this point, no action has been taken. No hearings have been held or even scheduled, no vote has been taken, no action of any kind. The Bill is in limbo.

Why?

No piece of bread can be sliced so thin that it doesn’t have two sides.

Opposition to the Pilot’s Bill of Rights 2 is active and growing. They outnumber us and are out lobbying us at the moment. Here is what two of our opponents are saying and doing:

Forbes Magazine’s John Goglia:

Aerospace Medical Association

I don’t believe in lobbying - EVER; I do believe in representative government and I do believe that Congressmen and Senators are answerable to the voters from their districts and states. I do believe that you and I have an obligation to speak up and let them know that we’re watching.

Our votes matter and they know it!

Write your Congressman in your own words and let him/her know that you’re paying attention to their action/inaction and will vote accordingly. Let them know that while you may represent only one vote, it is one vote that they won’t be getting unless this legislation is considered and voted on immediately! Be clear, that what you’re asking for is consideration not outcome. Let them know that simply putting this bill in a desk drawer and letting it die is unacceptable to you.

Elections have consequences. Congressmen and Senators can lose their jobs. At the end of the day votes matter more than campaign contributions. Voters matter more than lobbyists. We’re still in charge!

The $100 Hamburger staff has contacted two organizations that track bills and express an opinion on their likelihood of passage. They say the Pilot’s Bill of Rights 2 has less than a 5% chance of passage.

According to the Congressional Management Foundation, 88% of Capitol Hill staffers agree that electronic messages from constituents influence their bosses' decisions.

Click here to get your Congressman and Senators email address.

If you’re unsure who represents you, click here to find out.

I can lay back or lean in. This time I’m going to lean in. Please join me.

I've written my representative and both senators asking for support of both PBOR2 and GAPPA. In fact, my congresswoman, a mindless party lemming actually took some initiative and signed on as a cosponsor.

Marty,

almost 19,000 people have signed the letter and contacted their representatives in congress (automatically, just a few clicks)

while that represents 10-15 % of the EAA membership and just 5% of the licensed pilots, its still a large group.... keep in mind many in congress are pilots

I have heard this kind of pessimism before, with light sport "It'll never pass" then with Pilots bill of rights "It'll never pass" but both did with strong bipartisan support

Believe it or not even the FAA does not oppose this proposal, they don't care, its the 2 groups that represent the AME Docs that are fighting this thing, they also fought the sport pilot thing in 2004 and lost.......... I am optimistic they will lose again.

Yes, Pilots are a small special interest group but AME's are an even smaller special interest group

Optimism is good, but it is time for those who have set idle to, as you say, finally make a few clicks on their computer. If you heard only 15% of Americans support sending troops to Syria or Iraq, what would you take away from that? Only 10-15% 0f EAA membership bothering to support this is discouraging at best. How about all the aviation business that make their living on the pilot population. If they have not voiced their support, then what? It seems to be the same corp group, getting smaller each time, are what answers the call for supporting this. I've e-mailed, written and called my representatives in government so many times that it seems futile unless this large majority that sits without taking action finally makes the effort.

David is right, have all of you signed the petition yet?

It really is just a few clicks, enter your zip code etc. takes about 20 seconds… then letter is sent automatically for you

If you are for sport aviation then practice what you preach

Please take 20 seconds right now and do it

http://govt.eaa.org/

Fly Safe

Quote Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
    David is right, have all of you signed the petition yet?

It really is just a few clicks, enter your zip code etc. takes about 20 seconds… then letter is sent automatically for you

If you are for sport aviation then practice what you preach

Please take 20 seconds right now and do it

http://govt.eaa.org/

Fly Safe
    Some folks balk at "signing" on line petitions. Some of us write letters and send them to our Congressmen instead. Some print webpages to fax programs and send to Congressmen with a personal cover page. Hope most of us EAA members do SOMETHING! Thanks for the reminder.

Jim Coon, AOPA's Sr VP Government Affairs & Advocacy says "Expect to see motion on this subject in the next couple of weeks."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg8OPiwrlcQ

I have been predicting for the last year that the FAA will try to make a "good guy" PR splash by making some sort of announcement at Oshkosh. I base that on absolutely nothing concrete. Just that they like to make good PR when they can and don't mind holding us off so they can have good timing to make a splash. I think if they figure they can make good PR by complying with something they are going to be forced to do anyway, that's what they will do.

-Cub Builder