Thread: EAA members friendly waterjet cutting vendors?

Happy EAA members friendly waterjet cutting vendors?

I'm looking at having some fittings waterjet cut. I have them drawn in CAD and "nested" onto a standard size 4130 sheet stock. Does anyone know of a waterjet vendor that is "friendly" to EAA members? Most sheet size is 18" by 24" in .063 and .090 thickness. This not a production run, but rather a single aircraft build.

Thanks

Dave Rigotti

Hi Dave - not sure where you are located; I am in Northern Ireland and have found a few waterjet operators. Most are more than happy to work with the small jobs I have to do - I am building a Pietenpol. It is a simple aircraft that has a surprising number and variety of fittings. They do come out very nice from the waterjet.

I have had trouble with nesting software doing what I want (more likely my lack of skill), but found that since each waterjet machine is a bit different, it is almost easier for the operator to nest ,define and add the lead-in for each part. He can also make sure the part to part and part to edge distances are good for his machine. Small sheets are not a problem, even odd shapes, as long as you have the drawing for the material, they can use pretty much any shape.
    I think if you call around and find a waterjet, they will be willing to do your small jobs. It is not cheap, but I think the quality and flexibility for any shape you want is worth it.
    Good luck - let us know how you get on!
    Mark B.

Dave,

I just sent you a PM. Let me know if you don't receive it.

I have a listing of several shops in the upper Midwest. Can't promise any of them can do what you need. but you can call them and ask. If you want, you can email me and I'll send you their contact info.

Mike Dean

Mark,
    I'm in Ohio. I have some leads on vendors. I'll report back with my findings.

Thank You
    Dave Rigotti