Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FOOD at Airventure

FOOD at Airventure

When spending a week at Oshkosh, the food gets pretty old, both selection and quality.
    I know EAA has tried to make some changes and improvements, but success has not been reached.
    There is no bar b q that is close to what is commonly available in Texas, and no seafood such as one finds all along the Gulf coast or eastern shore.
    There is an attempt at oriental food, but I'd give it a 6 on a scale of 10, at best.

I try not to drink many soft drinks, but Pepsi is just plain bad, and has been for decades.

Catch the bus to the local Target and Wal-mart (or to one of the vendors right outside the gate) to buy your drinks. You can buy Coke (TM) products there.

For food, the Subway at the junction of warbirds and homebuilts is a good change-up for both breakfast and lunch.

For lunch and dinner, the SOS Brothers outside the main gate offers a variety of very tasty meals, all of which are bad for your health. (But it is only one week a year, so what the heck.)
    Last edited by Kyle Boatright; 06-01-2015 at 05:44 PM.

Actually, when they finally ditched Zaugs and let a lot of the local restaurants/catering outfits come in things got more varied and better in my opinion. Frankly one should not expect Texas-style or NC-style BBQ or seafood other than Perch in Oshkosh. Dag nab it, it is Wisconsin after all. I largely use it as my opportunity to eat brats and perch for the week.

The SOS tent is definitely worth the trip at least once. These guys got roundly shiat upon by the EAA but persevered (unlike some of the others like Schiffelbein who used to have an excellent corn and brats stand right there where the tram turnaround has been recently except for last years complete fark up with the tram routes).

If you have wheels or can bum a ride, there are some interesting places to go to. I still morn the lost of Justmans and the while the Granery wasn't haute cuisine, it was better than what replaced it.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    [snip] Dag nab it, it is Wisconsin after all. I largely use it as my opportunity to eat brats and perch for the week.
    DITTO!!

But, you left off Fried Cheese Curds...

Bill, as a Native Texan who lives in Colorado, you should be PROUD you can't find good BBQ outside of Texas. If *anyone* could do it, it would destroy the mystique.

...says the guy who has lived in Texas 33 years, but embraces his Yankee heritage.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Or just plain cheese curds...yah hey...squeaky cheese.

BBQ is PORK and it comes from North Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Or just plain cheese curds...yah hey...squeaky cheese.

BBQ is PORK and it comes from North Carolina.
    My wife is from Wisconsin and I love cheese curds. I'm from Georgia and BBQ is pork; but, you must leave the cole slaw off!

I made the mistake of ordering a "Philly cheese steak" in an upscale restaurant in AZ once. My wife ordered pork "bbq" at a roadside restaurant in the Hill Country once. Slow learner me ordered steamed shrimp in Idaho once. Vendors sell what people buy. Called "free market" last I checked. Wisconsin. Brats. Perch. Cheese. Beer. Y'all got a pro'lem with that, bring your own or stay home
    Last edited by Mike M; 06-02-2015 at 08:07 PM.

A friend of mine who's a cattle rancher from Oklahoma was bitching about the poor quality of a steak he got when we were in St. Simon's Island Georgia. I pointed out that if I visited his neck of the woods, I wouldn't order shrimp.

We don't put slaw on our bbq either, it's served on the side with the beans and hush puppies. The only question in NC is white or red for slaw color.

I've been pretty pleased with The Machine Shed's food. Just south of the Red Barn. Also the Italian place up in Warbirds isn't that bad either.

The other one I like is Major whatsisname or whoever that operated the Vintage Cafe and the Food tent up in the North 40. Great food and enormous portions.