Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FOOD at Airventure

My favorite meal of the day at Oshkosh is breakfast. I catch a ride (stick out your thumb) around the North Forty, and walk out the gate by the hotel/Friar Tucks, and cross the street at a 45 degree angle to the right. There is a small family restaurant, La Sure's, that opens at 6am. Huge breakfasts and anything your want for a very reasonable price. If you're a bit late, plan on waiting but the line moves along quick. Then, I take it easy the rest of the day.
    Jerry Folkerts

Jerry,since you have told the great unwashed masses about La Sures, how long do you think the line will be now?

And while it may be good, it is still outside Airventure. I'd like to see good food available all over the grounds. And agree with Tom's suggestions, the north place is ok. I find the best hamburgers in the tent on next to camping on the south side of the North 40.

I haven't gotten down to the Machine Shed much, it is a long ways south, but I will keep it in mind.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 06-04-2015 at 07:56 AM.

If you're down in vintage, the Vintage guys themselves run the Tall Pines Cafe (a large tent near the end of the ultralight runway). Reasonable food and it goes back to the organization.

Last year I found La Sure's wasn't open for dinner. I hope that was temporary, because I like to make the walk-tram-bus-walk up there once or twice a year.

Never had breakfast there though, I like the Tall Pines.

"There is no bar b q that is close to what is commonly available in Texas, and no seafood such as one finds all along the Gulf coast or eastern shore."

That's 'cause we're Wisconsin. We're quite a ways from Texas, and the Gulf coast. (An' we like it that way. )

I don't have the years of Oshkosh experience that many do, but I've been coming to Oshkosh since 1996 and working for EAA for the last 13 years. While I would be lying if I said I didn't miss the Zaug's root beer floats, I've got to say that Ryan Rasmussen and the rest of the EAA Events Dept. staff have done a pretty remarkable job of securing some outstanding new food venues during AirVenture over the past few years. From Major Goolsby's massive heart attack burgers to the fantastic wraps at Buca Di Beppo to a simple sandwich from Subway, the food choices on the grounds have improved significantly. If costs are a concern, there's always the Sacred Heart food stand near the main gate, which has been a go-to stop for me every year I've been here. Food choices on the grounds have never been better in my opinion. That being said, sometimes the best meal you can have during AirVenture though is simply a hotdog off the grill in the campground surrounded by your aviation friends.

the best meal you can have during AirVenture though is simply a hotdog off the grill in the campground surrounded by your aviation friends
    Zack, that is the quote of the forum, for me

I like good food, and avoid 99% of junk/fast food. I think the food has improved significantly over the last few years. There's always room for improvement, but I'm at Oshkosh for the friends & planes, not the gourmet dining

Zack, I echo Janet's comment. When I read that last sentence of your comment my eyes fogged up a bit. That's what Oshkosh is all about. You can bring in everything aviation but if people don't care, you have nothing. I am sooooooo lucky to belong to an organization where everyone cares about the next person, the organization and the Oshkosh experience.

If I was emperor of Oskosh, I'd put Mr. and Mrs. Zach in charge of catering all the on the field food. They did a great job when hosting parties at their EAA house. Don't know if they could adapt to feeding thousands rather than dozens, though.

Janet, decent Bar B Q is not anything rare, at least in some parts of the country, and food doesn't have to be considered "Gormet" to be good. I know EAA has tried and it trying, but they don't need to sit on the position that fair is good enough.
    An example is the restroom facilities. Now finding toilets for that many people is a huge task, but over the years some people have asked for more and EAA has responded. The two indoor restrooms with believe it or not, RUNNING WATER, AND CLEAN REAL SINKS and TOILETS, are a major step forward and I think are really appreciated. If you don't believe that, take a poll of all the vistors, ESPECIALLY THE LADIES, and see if these restrooms are a hit.
    And I know there are only those two, but they are right where most needed, at the com hangars, where most everyone goes at least once a week, and they make a difference.
    It would be great to have a couple more of these. maybe one up near Warbirds and one just near the south part.

If you think I am making too much of this issue and we should be satisfied with not so good food for a week, think of the showers for campers. They are pretty good, clean and large enough , and in general they are well used and accepted, don't need a major upgrade.

As for a hot dog on a grill, it can smell good, and if it is a brat it tastes even better. But really, a dog or even a brat is a long way from healthy food and especially not good to live on them for a week.

And as for as "everyone cares about the next person" that is great and I like the spirit of community at Osh, but that is not counterindicative of the food quality. The last time I was at Sun N Fun, the people and planes were there also and the food was somewhat better.
    Can you have better food with that many people? Well the stadium at U T holds 101,000 people and used to be full when they were good a few years back, and the food in the stadium is better and even better at the Alumni center next door.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 06-05-2015 at 11:18 AM.

Wisconsin, reasonably close to Chicago. That means Bratwurst....Pizza. Christianos Pizzeria in the shopping center north of the airport. Sounds weird but from someone raised in Chicago and spent a great deal of his adult life in Germany, I can attest that it is awesome. Closer to the airport I second Zach's recommendation of the Sacred Heart stand. If you miss root beer floats, A&W will do it. If you can't stand Pepsi (although I like Pepsi products) A&W will sell you straight root beer if you ask for it. (Maybe I shouldn't have said that.)
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com