Thread: Coming Back to OshKosh

Coming Back to OshKosh

After a 19 year absence, I will be returning to OshKosh this year. While I don't fly myself, I can say I am beyond excited. Used to come every year 1988-1996 with my dad and brothers, and sometime sister. Will be there Monday night through Wednesday night, so not there for the whole week experience, but beggars can't be choosers in this instance. Would love to hear input on some of the changes that have taken place, good or not so good. Also what would be fun activities that my brother and I could do in between the airshow, and walking around looking at planes, as well as possible after airshow activities. Thanks in advance!!

-Scott

The good:

1. The food is better than it's been in the 25 years I've been going. Not cheaper, but it's no longer the Zaugs mediocrity.
    2. The Night Airshow. Wednesday and Saturday. Worth seeing.
    3. The exhibit area is now bigger (though they're having hard times filling it the past few years) and more pedestrian friendly than it was in the era you were used to.
    4. More options for toilets than the ol' Port-O-Lets at many areas of the show.

The Theatre-in-the-woods is still a good evening event. Gone is the belly button guy and Chanda Lear, but alas so are the Kids from Wisconsin. On the bright side, the Gary Sinease and the Lt. Dan Band are scheduled back this year.

Despite rumors of his demise, Jerry Slegar's one man band still occupies the corner by the TITW.

Scott, I've only been attending since 2005, and it's changed by orders of magnitude in just that short time.

There are now two diagonal "spokes" radiating from the front gate to allow quicker walking to the homebuilt forums area. They've moved the Fly Market to over by the Red Barn. FlyingRon has captured the essence of the changes.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Have a great time.

19 years? Trust me, you won't recognize the place. There have been a ton... no, make that 2, maybe 2 & 1/2, tons of changes in the last 20 years. That's not to say it's better, or worse. That depends on your personal perspective.

Probably the biggest change you'll notice is the is has expanded across the road, west of Knapp St. The new main entrance, is near the center of the old car lot. And just inside is the new main manufacturer's outdoor exhibit area. To the right (south) is the fly-mart. And to the east is the four exhibit buildings, also west of Knapp St. Continuing east, towards the runway, is the large aircraft parking area (West Ramp, is it's called), at "show center". It has also been greatly expanded. Oh, and there's a new ATC control tower. They built it a few years back.

And I don't know if this was true the last time you were here, but the "general public" is now allowed out on the "flight line". When I started coming, back in '92, that was not the case. I think it was opened up to them around '96 or '97. (Still a lot of folks not to happy about THAT change.) There have been a myriad of other changes over the years. Some quite noticeable, other not so much. Oh, and the admission price has gone up. (But then, what hasn't the cost gone up on, in the last 20 years?)

Anyway, it's still the greatest show on (above?) earth. (My apologies to Ringling Bros. But elephants get boring, after a while.) Come and have a great time.

PS: Go to Google Maps and check out the satellite view of the grounds. That might give you an idea of how much it has expanded.
    Last edited by MADean; 06-05-2015 at 07:27 AM.