Thread: VAL 760 comm radios -- reliable or high maintenance?

VAL 760 comm radios -- reliable or high maintenance?

I'm considering the purchase of a used VAL 760 comm radio. I'm not familiar with them and would appreciate any comments or reviews on their operation. reliability, maintenance issues.

Thanks

Don

You may just have to do a regular Google search on the subject, then draw your own conclusion. In a few minutes you should have a trend about them. I had to get a new radio a few years ago. I went with the Garmin SL-30, which is doing great right now.

Yes I'd expect a bit of a price difference.

I had a ValCom 760 in a Mooney I owned several years ago. It worked perfectly for the 6 years I owned it. No problems, easy to use, and strong and clear transmission and reception. I'd buy one again if I needed one and at the right price.

I owned & used one for ten years. Worked perfectly. Sold the plane 15 yrs ago. Last I saw it 4 yrs back, valcom still only radio. Freq change mode would be a PITA for IFR in busy airspace.
    Last edited by Mike M; 06-01-2015 at 05:00 AM.

SL30's are great radios (they were an Apollo design). Garmin finally stopped making them a couple of years ago when they came out with their newer unit.

I had one for a while. Radio performance was great and good range & clarity.

But frequency changing is a pain and I had intermittent problems with the photocell dimming the display to the extent it was barely readable.

Val quoted $250 to fix it, so it went on EBay and I got a GTR200. No regrets!

Thanks to all for your replies. The frequency selection was a concern. I think I am moving on to something else.

Don