Thread: Unknown Electronic Ignition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unknown Electronic Ignition

This a little embarrassing but, can somebody remind me what kind of ignition this is? I pulled it off my Sonerai many beers ago and have forgotten its name etc. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

To me it looks like some sort of alternator. But I know nothing about this, its just a guess.

Electronic ignition, or some kind oddball magneto?

The two wires coming out of the end don't look like they're connected to a built-in distributor. And there's only two wires, which makes it unlikely that the unit is a ignition system for the 4-cylinder VWs they put on Sonerais. Can you shoot another picture, showing the end where the wires come out?

Also, it looks like it has a fairly narrow mounting flange. Don't see any long oblong slots that would let it be turned to adjust timing.

My vote is also on it being a generator/alternator of some sort.

Ron Wanttaja

Here's a couple more pics Ron. It's definitely the ignition, the trigger assembly or something. I can't remember exactly. The leads are like 18ga-22ga so it's not producing power. I do remember they went to the ignition "box"-CDI. It's mount is standard crank drive/mag style VW. I still have the "drive puck" and flange clamps. It mounted in the middle of an X mount. Thanks for the help!
    Name:  IMG00028-20150513-1517.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  78.5 KB
    Name:  IMG00029-20150513-1517.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  80.8 KB

Can you post a picture of the end that has the distributor cap (opposite to the drive end)?

Ron Wanttaja