Hello,

As Chair of the IAC Judges Program I periodically receive info from our population of aerobatic Judge volunteers about challenges and issues involving grading competition flights. So as to share problems, solutions, and interpretations of rules, I send periodic bulletins by e-mail to all of the IAC National Judges.

I am posting copies of the bulletins here so that our Regional Judges and other IAC members can be aware of the issues that are discussed.

The first of the bulletins appears below.

Wes

4/27/2015

As we move into the contest season, one suggestion that I have received is that as Chair of the Judges Program it would be to all of our advantage for me to act as a listener and publisher of Judging issues that are observed at contests. If the Judge community is aware of figure criteria or rules that are being misinterpreted in the heat of judging competitors flying past at 200mph we can work to get ourselves and our peers more up to speed on the problem issues.

This note is prompted by anecdotal reports of problems with awarding HZ's vs 0.0's. Since HZ's were brought into IAC not long ago, we have to be careful of old habits. A couple of seasons ago, saying "that's a zero" got the job done. Today we have to tell the recorder "HZ!". Or say "zero point zero". In 2015 our recorder likely won't know which score to write down if the Judge simply says "Zero".

If you serve as a Chief Judge, in your briefing of the Grading Judges I hope that you will take a moment to mention the difference between HZ and 0.0. Please encourage your Grading Judges to say the appropriate and precise words to their Recorder.

As the competition season progresses, please shoot me an e-mail if you see difficulties with awarding scores on the Judges Line. Recognizing problems and sharing our experience will help us all do a better job.

Thanks!