Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arsenal of Democracy Flyover Event

Arsenal of Democracy Flyover Event

For those of you interested in learning more about the Arsenal of Democracy Flyover event taking place in Washington, DC on Friday May 8 to commemorate the 70th anniversary of VE-Day, please visit http://ww2flyover.org/.

EAA's own B-17G "Aluminum Overcast" will be taking part in the event with EAA Photo staffers Jason Toney and Brady Lane on hand to capture photo and video of the flyover.

For those fortunate enough to attend in person, please feel free to share your photos and/or videos of the flyover here, or on the EAA Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/EAA.

For those of you who can't attend, you can watch the event live via webcast here: http://ww2flyover.org/live-webcast/

Cheers,
    Zack

Name:  IMG_2176.jpg
Views: 1505
Size:  96.8 KB
    I am working ground support for the event at Manassas. Here is a photo from today.

4 engine bombers are staging out of Manassas (HEF) while the single and twins are staging out of Culpepper (CJR). On the ramp at HEF this morning was the B-17 Texas Raiders (CAF), B-17 Aluminum Overcast (EAA), B-24 Diamond Lil (CAF) and B-29 FiFi (CAF). An AT-11 and a P-51D were also on the ramp, with the Mustang providing flights for WW2 vets. Today was ramp inspections by the local FSDO, some media and media flights (NBC, Fox, Hearst) and general prep work for tomorrow and Friday. Tomorrow will be rehearsal, with aircraft departing and practicing joining up. It will also be a major media day. There will also be Congressional staffers from USAF and aviation committees. Some wounded warriors will also visit and be allowed to fly in the aircraft during the rehearsal.

Main event, as Zack notes, on Friday.

-- Chris
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Fantastic Chris! Thanks for sharing!

Will the postman from Florida be there, flying along in his wee Gyronimo? He flew to protect our democracy, too! What better arsenal than a man with a passion, a piece of paper, and a pen?

Name:  IMG_2197.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  77.4 KBThursday. Dress rehearsal and media day. Bombers launched on time, practiced join up and returned to HEF. Fighters launched 15 minutes earlier from CJR. All crews report that everything went well and are ready for tomorrow. Media were allowed to ride on these flights, but will not be so privileged tomorrow. When I left, Aluminum overcast was being fitted with cameras to record the flight. There were also several wounded warriors who got to ride today. I enclose a picture of Chris and Ed pulling the props through on Aluminum Overcast. Ramp will be closed tomorrow before launch except for a select few (in addition to minimum required aircrew) who passed TSA and Secret Service screening. I intend to be across the airfield at the EAA Chapter house, photographing the departures from the deck. After departure I will be graciously allowed back to the other side to help with recovery.Name:  IMG_2202.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  90.6 KBName:  IMG_2186.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  92.9 KBName:  IMG_2194.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  96.6 KB

Sorry for the poor quality photos. iPhone 5s snapped while I am working support. Will bring a real camera tomorrow. One more picture. After a school "incident" I put my son on "punishment detail' cleaning Aluminum Overcast under the supervision of the Crew Chief, Jeff.Name:  IMG_2204.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  95.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mayhemxpc; 05-07-2015 at 03:26 PM.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Keep 'em coming, Chris! And thanks!

VE Day + 70 years. The Main Event. I won't write about what it was like on the Mall, because I wasn't there. I was at Manassas airport, where the 4 engine bombers departed from and recovered to. The initial plan -- as dictated by the TSA and Secret Service was that NO ONE except aircrew and a very select ground staff would be allowed on the ramp after 0800. By name roster cleared 45 days in advance. Then several hundred of the public showed up, wanting to see the bombers off. TSA and SS relented and they were allowed into the fenced off area on the ramp we had used for the general public yesterday (Thursday.) The aircrew were airlifted to Culpepper (CJR) where the singles and twins were, for their final airshow brief, returning about 1015. (Note: in full disclosure, I was not among the select few cleared by SS. Therefore I was not allowed on the ramp until after the bombers departed. Instead, I shot touch and go's on the parallel runway, landing when the pilots returned from CJR. Out of deference to security concerns I removed the dummy ordnance from my pylons as part of my pre-flight. After landing I watched from the deck of EAA chapter 186. Actually closer to the take off runway that I would have been on the bombers ramp.) The planes started engines later than briefed…one bomber crew in particular, which I will not name, always seems to be somewhat later than the rest. (It is NOT Aluminum Overcast.) Nonetheless, departure was only a couple of minutes later than briefed…plus the delays for 3 minute interval departures.
    Name:  IMG_3126.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  64.4 KB
    Here is Diamond Lil departing. You can see the crowd behind the barriers by the terminal
    Name:  IMG_3128.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  61.0 KB
    And EAA's Aluminum Overcast departing next
    Name:  IMG_3132.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  94.7 KB
    Like most others, we went inside and watched the event live streaming, grilling hot dogs and hamburgers at the chapter house awaiting the return.
    Name:  IMG_3137.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  57.7 KBName:  IMG_3139.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  89.0 KBName:  IMG_3140.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  89.0 KB
    After that it was back over to the terminal to help bed the planes down and get ready for tomorrow. The CAF B-24, Diamond Lil, their B-29 FiFi and the EAA's B-17 will remain at HEF for the next few days for tours and flights. I am told that we already have 76 flights pre-booked!
    Name:  IMG_3142.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  88.9 KBName:  IMG_3147.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  94.2 KB
    back again tomorrow to play tour guide!
    Last edited by Mayhemxpc; 05-08-2015 at 03:52 PM.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Gentleman on POA posted some of his pictures from the event...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/namist...57652420931816

Ron Wanttaja

Cspan coverage...pretty good. About 45 minutes:

http://www.c-span.org/video/?325808-...ersary-flyover

Ron Wanttaja

Some good vids on youtube also. Watched one last night of them staging and departing the airport. Great stuff!

Jim