Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trailering

Without veering this topic completely off topic, what exactly is the real world time to disassemble a Quicksilver Sprint or an Aerolite 103 so that it can be trailer from one location to another and reassembled to be flown?

I've always liked the Kolb since I first saw one in the early '90s and it would be the ideal plane for me however I'm not so sure of my patience to spend the number of hours to complete a Kolb. I don't want to buy a used Kolb either unless it super highly vouched for.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

If you reaaaaally have your act together, and have a check-listed procedure that you practice every weekend, and all the hardware is kept organized and in its proper place, you can go from car top (or trailer) to flying in about 45 minutes. If you're an average person who flies once a month, so has to stop and scratch his head once in a while, and fish around in "the box" for the right hardware: about 3 hours. It's about the same for disassembling after the flight, too. Quicksilver became the top ultralight manufacturer in the 80's because they had the best marketing and dealer network, not necessarily the best design...Kolb's design is hard to beat. You can spend your time just building now and just flying (with a little bit of assembling/disassembling) later, or assembling/disassembling (with a little bit of flying) now and later.

What about a Pterodactyl

Quote Originally Posted by crusty old aviator View Post
    If you reaaaaally have your act together, and have a check-listed procedure that you practice every weekend, and all the hardware is kept organized and in its proper place, you can go from car top (or trailer) to flying in about 45 minutes. If you're an average person who flies once a month, so has to stop and scratch his head once in a while, and fish around in "the box" for the right hardware: about 3 hours. It's about the same for disassembling after the flight, too. Quicksilver became the top ultralight manufacturer in the 80's because they had the best marketing and dealer network, not necessarily the best design...Kolb's design is hard to beat. You can spend your time just building now and just flying (with a little bit of assembling/disassembling) later, or assembling/disassembling (with a little bit of flying) now and later.
    Seem like all your concerns would melt away if you just got a Pterodactyl. Needs no trailer or hanger as you can transport on car top and it will hang from your garage ceiling with no problem.
    With a knowledgeable helper (one that can identify and install necessary parts independently) it can go from car top to flying in about 20 minutes, by yourself it takes more like 45 minutes.
    Still available from DFE for much less than 10K, used for much less than that.

Yes, quite right! The Pterry Ascender is a nice flying ultralight, too, with good ground handling.