Thread: Indy, Anyone There?

Indy, Anyone There?

I am just watching the final practice on "carb day" at Indy. Kind of wish I was there.
    Anyone going? Fast cars are like cousins to fast planes and there are a few owners, like Jack Roush, that have both.

Years ago, when I was in high school, I used to date a girl whose older sister was married to A J Foyt, and I was lucky enough to be invited to go to see the race. I really thought about it, I liked racing, though perhaps was a bit more of a sports car fan, and A J was already pretty famous around Houston. He went to the same high school, Lamar that both my Brother and I graduated from.
    Anyway, I really thought about it. But there was another girl also, so I stayed home. Funny coincidence, the 2nd girls Dad worked for the company which was later the financial force behind the aviation museum at Galveston.

And darned if A J didn't win the race that year, his first of 4 victories.
    Just a year or two later I was looking for my first car to buy and saw an ad for a Jag, think it was a 120 or maybe 150. I went to look at it and darned if it wasn't A J s car. We went for a test drive and I was terrible at it with the heavy clutch. He was polite as I lurched around, but I didn;t buy that car. Never lost my love of Jaguars , though.

Janet Guthrie, first lady to race at Indy, live here, is a pilot, and a friend now.

I'm not going to the race this year (family commitments) but it is a lot of fun and the folks down at the track are great. If you (or anyone else) comes in town for one of the races, let Kat and I know. We're happy to play tour guide or something along those lines.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

I flew over the brickyard last week and 3-4 cars where practicing. All I can say is they going FAST!!

My wife and I went to the second day of qualifying on Sunday May 20. I used to go to the 500 with a group of friends back in the 70's. There have been many changes at Indy since I was last there, but the excitement and energy are still the same. The speeds are amazing, especially when you get close to the track. I don't know about today's drivers, but many of the drivers years ago were also pilots. Johnny Rutherford used to fly a P-51.