Thread: Who's got questions for Apollo 13 commander Jim Lovell?

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar

Who's got questions for Apollo 13 commander Jim Lovell?

(continued from an earlier thread.)

During AirVenture we’re going to be sitting down with famed astronaut Capt. Jim Lovell, commander of Apollo 13. Jim is an EAAer and had a fantastic career since returning that fateful mission safely to Earth. If you had 20 minutes with him, what would you want to know? …You can read about the Apollo 13 mission anywhere, and we've all seen the movie, so think outside the box! We’ll be publishing select questions and answers in the September issue of EAA Sport Aviation.

Thanks for your ideas!
    Last edited by Hal Bryan; 07-20-2011 at 12:24 PM.

Hal,

My question for Jim would be; Do you fly for recreation? If so, what are some of the "low and slow" planes you've flown. Was there anything portrayed in the movie that you think is so off the mark that you like to correct when given the opportunity.

Thaks Hal, for the new site. It so far, so good.

Dave

Hope you don't mind me repeating my questions here, but as I asked on OSH365...

I would love to know how Jim is involved with EAA? Or how we can get him MORE involved...
    Do you currently fly? What do you fly? Ever built or wanted to build a homebuilt airplane? Do you go to AirVenture every year?

Astronaut stuff is cool and all, but I'd like to know how his flying is going today!
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

What are the best and worst aircraft (or spacecraft) that you ever flew?

I'd like to ask him how EAA can go beyond inspiring young people to become pilots to do what it takes to help create the next generation of space explorers?

My 9 year old daughters favorite movie is Apollo 13. She flipped when I told her Jim Lovell was going to be at Oshkosh this year. It's a shame that we couldn't make it to Airventure this year.

What are Captain Lovell's thoughts concerning the future of manned spaceflight given the retirement of the Shuttle and the present emphasis on new private companies to provide future spaceflight hardware?

Would it be fair to say the Mr.Mattingly's removal from the crew of Apollo 13 ended up providing the crew the procedure needed to return? In other words, is it possible that this change (act of fate) possibly resulted in the safe return? I use the dramatic film as a basis for the question and do not mean to infere that a number of other elements did not also result in your safe return.

I had the opportunity to spend some time talking to TK Mattingly after he was giving a keynote address here in DC (he lives just a few blocks away from the hotel). He says Gary Sinese didn't even begin to show the amount of disappointment he had in not making that mission.

Did he put the hours in various space missions in his log book, and what did he put in the "Remarks" section for Apollo XIII?

Seriously, I would ask him what he thinks of the trends towards automation and the amount of information being pushed to pilots increasing in what seems to be orders of magnitude in the GA world.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.