Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work Bench

Work Bench

I'm starting to build an RV-7 in my garage and am wondering what is a good height for my work bench?

For benches on which I will work on parts or subassemblies, I find the 30" height used for kitchen counter tops comfortable (surprise surprise). That said, if you are taller or shorter than average, there is no reason that you could not choose a different height.

I will also suggest that your work surface should be 30 - 36" deep rather than the 24" commonly used in kitchens. That allows you to put tools and bins on the far edge and still have lots of work space. If you go narrower you will likely find that putting bins or a tool box on the work surface leaves no space left for doing the work right there. You have to move laterally "down" the work surface to find space to work on. Its all personal preference and how much room is available for your work surface in the room that you are working in.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

30" is standard for a sit down table, 36" for a stand up bench or counter.

You are right, I make my work tables and roll around carts 36". I mis-typed above.

I will add that I have one work surface that is heavy and hard to move, and all of the rest are on casters. Makes keeping the shop organized and relatively clean easy. Plus if I need support for a long part, I can easily move one or two of the rolling work surfaces to do that.

For what its worth, the woodworking community has all of this figured out. If you pick up some woodworking magazines like Woodsmith, Popular Woodworking, etc., they have lots of articles and plans for different work surfaces, stands, carts, etc.

Best of luck,

Wes

I found my table being either two inches below or two inches above my "manly bits" the way to go. That way one can bend over it to work on stuff reasonably comfortably and not crush the family jewels on the corners and sides as one walks past it carrying parts to put on the table.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

EAA has a good article on building a workbench at http://dreambuildfly.com/wp-content/..._plans_SA1.pdf

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

I like 36" for most things. I use a tall shop stool it I am sitting down. Other than a couple heavy workbenches that are against one wall, I have casters on most of my stuff. I was given a table saw that I don't use because I have 2 others I prefer, it had a heavy rolling base that I screwed some 3/4" plywood to & I mounted my drill press, band saw, a grinder & wire brush to it. I can push it out of the way & pull out whichever side I need when the time comes.

I have found that my back quit hurting when I made my bench the same height as my elbow.
    Last edited by jddavis16; 05-10-2015 at 07:24 PM.

I recently built two of the "EAA worktables." After putting on the casters they're pretty close to 36 inches. Seems to be a pretty easy height to work with.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

Because of my back I find most work benches to be to short. Any bending over for any length of time and its more then I can take. To me a work bench is a personal thing, depending on the size of the person using it and condition of said person. A 36" table is about 5" to short for me. It don't sound like a lot, but believe me it makes all the difference.
    Tony
    Last edited by 1600vw; 05-11-2015 at 05:25 AM.