Thread: Such a deal

Such a deal

I just got a promotional call for a "free" cruise to the Bahamas.
    The spiel was from a real person, not just a robo call, I kept waiting for the catch. He said it was on a ship, the 'GRAND CELEBRATION' owned by "Grand Bahama Cruise Line,and ships out of Palm Beach for 2 days on Grand Bahama Island.
    Sounded like a scam, or maybe an actual cruise which is trying to sell us a time share.
    There is such a ship and such a line, but as for "free cruises" that is unlikley.

Anyway, end the end, he asked for a "small fee to pay the port tax" of "only $59" and said they would take any credit card for the "$118 charge.
    That is pretty cheap as "free" cruises go. eh?

One unusual thing, the caller I D showed his phone number as 970 292-7650 which is my area code in Colo.

I think I'll defer this "opportunilty" to my good friends in Wisconsin who may need that beach time more.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 04-23-2015 at 10:46 AM.

Bill,
    i recieved that call last week, I guess they are working the Rocky Mountain region. But I have to admit I enjoy those calls, as it gives me an opportunity to have some fun. I asked this poor gentleman to call back in 3-5 years as I was going away to prison for wire fraud ( for those of you who went to the same public schools as I, I am not really going to prison, it is called irony. Lol ). Click..... Poetic.....
    rick

One unusual thing, the caller I D showed his phone number as 970 292-7650 which is my area code in Colo.
    I don't usually listen long enough, even to a real person, to get that far, but I've seen caller ID not only in 303/720, but even with my name and phone number used as the caller ID. And all this with scam calls I've seen sport 202, 212, 856 and many other area codes in the CID. Apparently it's easy, these days, to spoof caller ID, although when certain electronic equipment went into the telephone network back in the '80s (it was partly to defeat the "blue box" callers who'd figured out the tones to use for signalling, and I was in the middle of that change), the signalling network (over which caller ID is carried) was completely isolated from anything the user had access to (certainly not on the internet). Evidently, since I've retired, there have been some large changes made, and that security is gone.

Larry N.

Quote Originally Posted by wyoranch View Post
    Bill,
    i recieved that call last week, I guess they are working the Rocky Mountain region. But I have to admit I enjoy those calls, as it gives me an opportunity to have some fun. I asked this poor gentleman to call back in 3-5 years as I was going away to prison for wire fraud ( for those of you who went to the same public schools as I, I am not really going to prison, it is called irony. Lol ). Click..... Poetic.....
    rick
    Hahaha. PERFECT!

Russ Zimmerman
    EAA Member #292524
    "Thanks Paul"