Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Name the gyro that delivered the mail!

Quote Originally Posted by crusty old aviator View Post
    So...based on the photos you've seen, can you name the make and model of the Postman's wee gyro?
    It's a one-of-a-kind gyrocopter built by a fellow in Georgia, modeled after the classic 60s-vintage Bensen, and nicknamed by the builder as Gyronimo.

The media seemed to embrace the term "gyrocopter" and now many of the taking heads are experts on "gyrocopters"
    "GyroCopter" was specifically the name that Igor Bensen used for his products and the name has become common for all ultralights or aircraft of this kind; however, the FAA uses "gyroplane" for this category/class of aircraft.

Ira

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Thanks for stepping in to provide the clarity, Ira.

By the way, I love your book!

Best -

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    Thanks for stepping in to provide the clarity, Ira.

By the way, I love your book!

Best -

Hal
    I'm glad you like the book.

I see your in Oshkosh!? How lucky can a guy get!

Ira

Thank you Dana & Ira for naming the gyroplane! My only experience with gyros was flying with Martin Hollmann in his Sportster and getting to fly his "real ultralight" Bumblebee prototype. With Martin gone, I'm glad we have people like Ira keeping gyros in the public eye, though Martin's widow is still selling Martin's gyroplane books and plans through his AircraftDesigns.com website.

If EAA brings the Postman and his Gyronimo to Wittman Field this summer, we'll have to give Jeff Point some boiled spaghetti strands to go after him with...then he can explain to us why he used such a grossly overweight "ultralight" for his grand entrance.

wrong info, it was built by Ron Awad of fort mill s.c. ,this I know as I sold him the Horz. Stab. off my falcon gyro to put on it. he traded me about an hours worth of unofficial Dual time in his 2 place dominator gyro in exchange for the Horz. stab. also it did not start as a Gyro bee, every bit of it was Ron's design. it had wheel barrow wheels from harbor frieght, a fuel tank he bought from jeg's racing. the Prop he bought from a guy on barnstormers. he built it so the mast would fold and he could put it in a camper trailer to take to fly-in's it had a short axel on it so it could fit in the back of a pic up truck. and no instruments.

Ron later admitted it was about 5 pounds over the limit when he built it. he then sold it to Jon Carlton in Ga. who flew it for awhile, then Jon sold it to Billy steward in Tenn. Billy sold it to Rick Martin in Fla. who then sold it to Doug the mail man, Doug added all the other stuff to it and as soon as i saw it i knew he was busted for being over weight. Name:  Billy gyro.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  28.3 KB this is a pic of how it was when first built note how basic it was. but yes it is named the Gyronimo
    Last edited by hoverlover; 05-07-2015 at 05:41 PM.

First one to ANSWER

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    GyRonimo

The media seemed to embrace the term "gyrocopter" and now many of the taking heads are experts on "gyrocopters"
    Gyroplane, that must be some kind of flat greek sandwich

I guess Marty doesn't get ANY credit for answering the question first...
    Sorry Marty.... Don't feel bad... it happens to me a lot too...
    Gotta Fly...

Mystery solved! Thank you for the history of this now-historical gyro, Hoverlover!

PS: I used to live/work at Bob Lee Airport, just down the road from you, back in the mid-80's, and I've dived the cave in the bottom of the spring at the local park (with permission).

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    You can be sure they'll hit him with the usual laundry list of civil penalties at $1000 each: unregistered aircraft, unlicensed pilot perhaps, no annual condition inspection recorded, various airspace violations, and the usual proverbial cherry on top, "careless or reckless operation." Then there's trespassing and whatever other rules he broke on the ground. The next few months will no doubt be unpleasant for the pilot...
    Absent some sort of airworthiness certificate, he won't need an annual. Part 43 doesn't apply to aircraft without airworthiness certifciates. Condition inspections only apply to those with experimental certificates.