I was privileged to have attended the Doolittle Tokyo Raiders Congressional Gold Medal presentation at the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton, Ohio over the weekend. Congress awarded the medal on Wednesday April 15 with Lt. Gen. Jack Hudson, Director of the NMUSAF accepting on behalf of the Raiders. On Saturday April 18, the medal was placed aboard the B-25 Mitchell "Panchito" and flown to Wright-Patterson AFB where it was delivered to the museum. That evening, the two surviving Raiders, Col. Dick Cole and Sgt. David Thatcher, were on hand to officially present the medal to the NMUSAF for permanent display and safe keeping. It was a fantastic event and I'm thrilled to have been able to attend. The most striking moment was during Col. Cole's brief speech in which he stated, "73 years ago, about this same time in the evening, David Thatcher was saving his crew on a beach and I was hanging from my parachute in a tree." Goosebumps at that! Here are some photos from the event (with apologies for the quality - they were taken on a phone).

Col. Cole arrives.
Name:  Cole arrives.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  94.5 KB

Sgt. Thatcher arrives.
Name:  Thatcher arrives.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  91.7 KB

Col. Cole presents the medal to Lt. Gen. Jack Hudson, Director of the NMUSAF
Name:  Doolittle Raider Congressional Gold Medal_ 066.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  91.4 KB

The medal - front.
Name:  Doolittle Raider Congressional Gold Medal_ 098.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  75.0 KB

The medal - back.
Name:  Doolittle Raider Congressional Gold Medal_ 097.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  78.2 KB

The Doolittle Tokyo Raider goblets. One goblet for each of the 80 men who participated in the raid (16 airplanes with 5 crewmen each). Only the goblets of the surviving Raiders are upright.
Name:  Doolittle Raider Congressional Gold Medal_ 001.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  88.6 KB

Lt. Gen. James H. Doolittle's goblet.
Name:  Doolittle Raider Congressional Gold Medal_ 009.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  70.0 KB

The bottle of Hennessy cognac used in the final toast between Thatcher and Cole.
Name:  Doolittle Raider Congressional Gold Medal_ 103.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  87.1 KB

Some of the mixed drinks available at the reception.
Name:  Doolittle Raider Congressional Gold Medal_ 101.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  84.2 KB

And finally, the Doolittle Tokyo Raiders exhibit.
Name:  Doolittle Raider Congressional Gold Medal_ 014.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  91.6 KB