Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pilot's Bills of Rights Potential impact on LSA vs GA Aircraft Values

Pilot's Bills of Rights Potential impact on LSA vs GA Aircraft Values

Just interested in what you fellows (and gals) think will happen to LSA & general aviation used aircraft prices in the event that this legislation passes. Have heard some say will be the death of LSA's and a major positive impact on older used aircraft while some think the impact will not be significant since LSA's will still hold a commanding lead with fuel economy and general operating costs. While I fly both a Beech and a Rans S-6S, my personal opinion is that enactment of either S.571 or H.R.1062 will have a very positive impact on general aviation relieving many of us senior, as well as some younger, guys from worrying about the FAA 3rd class medical issue and back into the air flying and enjoying perhaps thousands of our aircraft once again. What say you? Thanks - Arnie

Frankly, I think it's wishful thinking that the abolition of the medical requirement will make much difference on value of aircraft. While it will make things more convenient for those who are flying, I doubt it's going to greatly increase the demand for light aircraft.

The new LSA's like the FlightDesign CTLS won't go down in price and I think their sales will remain pretty much where they're at now.

Older planes that qualify as Light Sport may come down in price a bit, like Champs, and a few more will enter back in the market as some folks bought them to fly under SP rules and will want to go back to their 172's.

Airplane owners are simply not selling the aircraft they're not flying. We've had this big drop in pilot population without a big increase in the used aircraft market with drops in prices. If they were being sold instead of rotting in hangars it would be a golden age for those who want to buy and fly an airplane, as the market would be flush with supply versus a lowered demand.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Many aviators will sigh with great relief and go back to not flying their over 1320 but below 6000 etc aircraft. Resale prices will blip around a bit for a while, then stabilize near where they are for most normal category aircraft. Some LSA resale prices will evaporate, some will drop slightly. Some of the foreign aircraft MGW and cruise airspeed limits will be increased.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    The new LSA's like the FlightDesign CTLS won't go down in price and I think their sales will remain pretty much where they're at now.

Older planes that qualify as Light Sport may come down in price a bit, like Champs, and a few more will enter back in the market as some folks bought them to fly under SP rules and will want to go back to their 172's.

Airplane owners are simply not selling the aircraft they're not flying. We've had this big drop in pilot population without a big increase in the used aircraft market with drops in prices. If they were being sold instead of rotting in hangars it would be a golden age for those who want to buy and fly an airplane, as the market would be flush with supply versus a lowered demand.
    This!

At least I'd be able to legally fly my 11CC (GW 1350#) Aeronca Chief when I finish restoring it. Still have my L16A with the 0200 conversion at 1300# but what a farce not to include aircraft like Cessna 150, Cherokee 140, etc. in the light sport category. They're a #### of a lot easier to fly than a Champ, Chief, J-3, Taylorcraft.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

I think small GA aircraft like Cessna 150's and 172's, and Piper 140's and 180's etc will escalate, and LSA's will go down. How many older pilots, entering retirement, can afford a $120k airplane when they can go buy a nice 150 for $18K. I put myself in that category - I had a pristine 150 which I had to let go due to medical. There is no way I would consider a $120k LSA. Ironically, I guess the FAA doesn't consider me to be safe in a 150, but I can go get an experimental and that's OK with them.

I think some planes will go up in value and some others will go down. Supply will increase for former LSA only pilots meaning more airframes available, making LSA only airframe values drop due to a reduction in demand. While demand will increase for the GA fleet because more pilots will be able to buy. For example, I think a 172, or Citabria might go up in value while an LSA champ might go down. Some planes like 'ultralight' type LSA's I think will go down in value even more. Some LSA's like a Carbon Cub will stay the same or drop slightly.
    1996 Quad City Challenger CWS w/503 - Sold
    1974 7ECA Citabria - Sold
    1986 Pitts S1S

We already have a really good example of this now. The Ercoupe. Before SP or LSA one could pick that airframe or airplane up for under 10 grand. I have heard stories of people buying flying Ercoupes for under 8 grand. No one wanted them.

Jump forward to today and you are hard pressed to get an Ercoupe for under 20 grand.

The 100 grand LSA will not sell and everyone will start flying what they have in hangars waiting to be flown. Why this will never happen.

Tony

Gentlemen: There are so many airplanes that will meet the proposed limits of the Pilot's BOR. Including the Piper Malibu, Cessna 310, Beech Bonanza, Piper Aztec, Beech Baron, Cessna 210, and many more. The supply of airplanes will far exceed the demand and thus the price will probably not change much at all.