Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mode C required for VFR A/C?

Mode C required for VFR A/C?

My FSDO requires a Mode C transponder to be installed prior to aircraft airworthiness inspection for my plans built experimental aircraft. My plane will be VFR only. I will fly far from Class B airspace and under Class A. Is this transponder required?

No, it's not required, but in the limitations it will note you can't go under the Mode C veil.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    No, it's not required, but in the limitations it will note you can't go under the Mode C veil.
    IFR vs. VFR has nothing to do with it. IFR doesn't change the mode C requirement.

You need mode C:

In class A, B, C airspace.
    Inside the mode C veil (up to 10,000 feet).
    Under class B and C tiers and above the ceiling
    Above 10,000 (and more than 2500 AGL) in the lower 48

Nowhere in 91.215 does it give you an out for VFR-only. You get a break on SOME (but not all) of these requirements if you have no engine-driven electrical system.

But a transponder is not required for experimental aircraft in order to get an airworthiness inspection. Hell, radios aren't required.

My aircraft won't have any lights on it. That's okay, it's for daytime VFR only.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Above 10,000 (and more than 2500 AGL) in the lower 48
    This is the part I wasn't familiar with. Thanks.
    The parenthesis make for ambiguity. "And" means both conditions must be true.
    Does one read that to be above 2500 AGL when that puts you above 10,000 MGL? Like in Nevada? Again, that can be avoided.

I wouldn't be flying in Class A airspace (need to be filed IFR), B and C within the veil can be avoided.
    I was promised a hand-me-down transponder when a friend upgrades to ADSB-out, but it was a surprise to see this listed by my FSDO in getting the airworthiness package of things to do.

My latest hurdle is that they didn't like my Corvair engine conversion described as Manufacturer <my last name> s/n 1 and not having an engine data plate (Corvairs have no data plates). Any advice? I think I should just make an engine data plate up. Take a photo and show them that.

Yes, if you are with in 2,500 of the ground, even above 10,000 you don't need a transponder.

Yes, you will have to put a dataplate on both the aircraft and the engine EVEN if it is not a normally certificated one (of if it was certificated before such were required).
    That's a law the FAA can't waive.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Yes, you will have to put a dataplate on both the aircraft and the engine EVEN if it is not a normally certificated one (of if it was certificated before such were required).
    That's a law the FAA can't waive.
    The aircraft needs a minimal dataplate. There is NO requirement for a dataplate for a non-certificated engine. Read the regs. Nowhere does it state requirements for a dataplate on a non-certificated engine - how could it? The engine could be made out of baling wire and superglue.

Concur with Marc. My Sonex has a VW conversion powerplant. No data plate. Wasn't even mentioned during the AW process.

I *do* have a transponder, though, even though I don't fly thru Class B. I do fly within the Mode C veil, however. With all the air traffic here in DFW, I *want* the controllers to be able to point me out, with altitude, to other aircraft!

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by Vision401 View Post
    My FSDO requires a Mode C transponder to be installed prior to aircraft airworthiness inspection for my plans built experimental aircraft. My plane wvill be VFR only. I will fly far from Class B airspace and under Class A. Is this transponder required?
    If you had no electrical power generating unit, a transponder would definitely not be required. If you pulled that alternator and installed (maybe temporarily) a solar panel and big battery to run your corvair ignition you could get your airworthiness and go fly until you decide to install an alternator, as you probably would decide to do, most likely while still early in Phase 1. Just sayin'.
    Last edited by Mike M; 04-12-2015 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    I didn't find that listed in FAA Order 8130.2G. Is there a new version out?