Thread: Part 23 Rewrite finally moving?

Part 23 Rewrite finally moving?

The March update to the DOT Significant Rulemaking status is now showing a scheduled reform on Part 23. This could markedly reduce the cost of producing a Certificzted airplane, and if the implement the recommendations of the Rulemaking Committee, make it much easier to maintain and upgrade an older airplane. Finally...

Popular Title: Part 23 Reorganization
    RIN 2120-AK65
    Stage: NPRM
    Previous Stage: : .
    Abstract: This rulemaking would revise Title 14, Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) part 23 as a set of performance based regulations for the design and certification of small transport category aircraft. This rulemaking would: (1) Reorganize part 23 into performance-based requirements by removing the detailed design requirements from part 23. The detailed design provisions that would assist applicants in complying with the new performance-based requirements would be identified in means of compliance (MOC) documents to support this effort; (2) Promote the adoption of the newly created performance-based airworthiness design standard as an internationally accepted standard by the majority of other civil aviation authorities; (3) Re-align the part 23 requirements to promote the development of entry-level airplanes similar to those certified under Certification Specification for Very Light Aircraft (CS-VLA); (4) enhance the FAA?s ability to address new technology; (5) Increase the general aviation (GA) level of safety provided by new and modified airplanes; (6) Amend the stall, stall warning, and spin requirements to reduce fatal accidents and increase crashworthiness by allowing new methods for occupant protection; (7) Address icing conditions that are currently not included in part 23 regulations.

Effects:
    Regulatory Flexibility ActInformation CollectionPrompting action: 2011 Retrospective Regulatory ReviewLegal Deadline: NPRM (Pub. L. 113-53) : 12/15/2015Rulemaking Project Initiated: 11/27/2013Docket Number:Dates for NPRM:MilestoneOriginally ScheduledDateNew ProjectedDateActualDateTo OST08/13/2015 To OMB09/15/2015 OMB Clearance12/15/2015 Publication Date12/28/2015 End of Comment Period04/01/2016 Explanation for any delay:N/AFederal Register Citation for NPRM: None
    Last edited by TedK; 04-08-2015 at 06:53 PM.

During my participation on the Part 23 ASTM committee last year, I didn't hear much (or any) discussion about reducing regulation compliance cost.
    I would not hold much hope that this recent effort will stimulate light aviation any more than all the other previous failed plans such as: Primary Category, Recreational Pilot, VLA, etc. I reread all the EAA Sport Aviation archives from 1953 to 2013 and found about every decade a new plan to revitalize GA is promised and implemented. But nothing ever works. The private aviation decline continues.

I don't think any entrenched bureaucracy such as FAA can reform itself from within.