Thread: EAA Technical Assistance?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Shocked EAA Technical Assistance?

I need some help as I plan my build of an Evans Volksplane. I have tried the Yahoo! Volksplane group but it seems to be filled with either guys who own but never built a Volksplane or are like people you find in the model airplane forums, full of crap and just waiting to spew it all over you. Those few who did build their own planes in that group are really nice people, about 2 of them....

I don't belong to a local chapter of EAA because I really hate belonging to groups to be honest. That said, I am not stupid and know I need some outside technical assistance or I will become another statistic!

How do I go about finding a good person to help me and review images I have done in CAD to determine if I am on the right track? I look at photos of other people's builds and see a vast discrepancy in what I am reading in the plans and what I see in their photos. Who is right? Am I reading the plans wrong? Can't really ask those sorts of questions without starting a flame war!

I just need a wood aircraft expert builder to answer some questions. Doesn't matter if he's local or not or a VP builder! I am in the early stages of planning. I have put 98% of the plans into CAD and will be producing the CAM files for use on a CNC in early to mid 2012. It would be nice to have someone to do a sanity check now while it hasn't cost me anything but time!

Thanks for your help!

John

John,

Call 888-EAA-INFO (888-322-4636) and talk to the folks in EAA Aviation Services. They'll help, and can also put you in contact with an EAA Technical Counselor in your area who can visit your project in person. EAA is there to help!
    Cheers!

Joe

John,

In addition to Joe's suggestion, you might want to try http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com. They got some guys on there with technical knowledge just spins my head (which ain't hard to do anyway). You'll probably get some good info there.
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

Ask and you shall recieve. I'm a Tech Counselor and live in Marietta. Give me a call and maybe I can help or can help you or can help you touch base with others in the local area who have the technical knowledge you need. We have several locals who are experienced with VW power and who have built wooden aircraft. My cell is (770) 722-4084.

Also, the local EAA chapter is EAA 268. The website is EAA268.org. <Edit> John, the chapter's next meeting is the annual pot-luck dinner and is at a member's house. Call or PM me and I can provide details if you're interested.
    Last edited by Kyle Boatright; 10-17-2011 at 08:54 PM.