Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacing wing coverings

Simple Green is in fact highly corrosive to aluminum. The one you want is called Simple Green Extreme and Aircrfaft Spruce carries it. It will not cause corrosion.

Quote Originally Posted by vaflier View Post
    Simple Green is in fact highly corrosive to aluminum. The one you want is called Simple Green Extreme and Aircraft Spruce carries it. It will not cause corrosion.
    Thanks for looking up the specific Simple Green product that was safe for aluminum. I could not remember the name given to it just that the normal product caused extensive corrosion. The "biodegradable" labels on cleaners often lead to thinking that a product is "safe" for all things.

Thanks, Greg,
    I have the FAA CD and it does not mention anything about the fabric covering. The logs are incomplete which means that any "maintenance" could have taken place and not recorded in those unrecorded years. However, I guess that some work could have been undertaken and just not recorded during the time the logs were actually kept anyway.
    Really appreciated your comments.
    Al

Thanks, Greg,
    I have a recently ordered FAA CD and the covering was not indicated. Even if my current logs (that came with the coupe) were complete, I guess someone could have done some unrecorded "maintenance" anyway. So---

Thanks, Al

Having read the info on this site about the Stewart System and its not being reliable around auto fuel, I need to ask, is this just an opinion because it is a new system or is it factual ? I am going to recover an Ercoupe 415 soon, and it seems to be a good method on the videos I have seen. I am also waiting on an opinion from the company.

skyfixer8,
    My opinion about the Stewart System is based on my experience. I used it last year when recovering a Piper Pacer, I used it because of the low toxicity etc. The paint its self was very different to apply, the Co. said it would be quite the learning curve, it is not like dope or enamel at all. There is no notification with the product that it is affected by auto gas, just the statement that "once cured it can not be returned to liquid state by any solvent". Well a fuel leak later it had not returned to "liquid" but all glue joints that gotten wet were loose, surface tape actually fell from the belly and the paint was all sagging and loose. This was with about 13 hours of time, the insulation under the fabric had been soaked. Check the short wing piper site as others besides me have had problems as well. The company told me that the "finish coat" is immune but all the underlying coatings and glue are affected by the "injector cleaner" additives in auto gas. It does not seem to be affected by 100LL,(I have soaked glued/painted pieces to check this). Just be aware that fuel spilled that can get into the tank bays or run off the wing and around a window could cause a problem. Fuel should not be spilled on/ in the aircraft but, who has not EVER overfilled a tank sending gas all over the wing or nose? Ceconite process super seam cement and nitrite/CAB dope do not seem to be affected by the autogas that I use,Marathon Rec. 90.
    I was willing to use it again until I had the problem with spilled fuel, If you do use it I would recommend spraying the finish top coat(urethane),(the CD will show EkoPrime for this ,that won't work according to Setwart) in the tank bays and try to seal every opening as much as possible.

Thanks for the reply Greg. Am now curious what the company answer will be. Looks like i might be using Poly system then.
    Bill

Please forward any info that you get as i plan to deep clean my ercoupe wings and repaint rather than to replace the current fabric.

Al