Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing wing coverings

Replacing wing coverings

Recently purchased an Ercoupe 415-C. The wing covering is now @ 30 years old, discolored white (insignia white?). The fabric seems very good even after all this time as the plane was hangered and unattended for many years. Wishing to deep clean the wings and/or to repaint the wings without removing the fabric. Happy to receive any advice as i am a novice owner after renting up to this time. My coupe was recently annualed and all seems structually good.

Thanks,

Al
    Last edited by kenkal; 04-04-2015 at 06:59 AM.

I personally would give the plane a detailed cleaning and hand work all the areas. sometimes you feel things you can't see. plus beings it's your own plane it gives you a chance to learn more about it.

Hi Don,
    Thanks for your interest in helping. Any thoughts as to how to deep clean (cleaning products and tools required) and also your thoughts regarding repainting fabric wings rather than to remove the old covering and starting brand new?

Quote Originally Posted by kenkal View Post
    Hi Don,
    Thanks for your interest in helping. Any thoughts as to how to deep clean (cleaning products and tools required) and also your thoughts regarding repainting fabric wings rather than to remove the old covering and starting brand new?
    Al,

I would start with an inspection to see if the fabric is legal. From there I'd get into the logbooks and find out what exactly the finish is on the wings, that will tell you what you should and shouldn't use, including the manufacturer's recommendation (if they are still around.) Failing that, car wash soap and a sponge and water should clean much of the dirt. As to what to repaint it with, that goes back to what is on the wings now and what you are hoping to achieve. I believe Stewart Systems is approved to top coat any existing finish.

Good luck!

Jim
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Al. Jim pretty well sum's it up, I fly composite kr2 so I need to let you find the fabric test angle, I do believe there is a punch test tool that determins fabric strenght. The pawnee spray plane we always washed the fabric with simply green mixed with dawn dish soap and hot,hot water with a soft cotton rag. the key for me was alot of hard elbo greese Turtle wax works well for your windshield ect. I would pull all your inspection plates and take a flash light and scope every were you can we use to take a long radiator blow gun nozzle with LOW air preasure (about 30 psi) and clean out pully areas and any were dirt and dust may settle, was amazed how much dirt collects inside the plane. I recommend NEVER use steel wool or any agressive cleaning pads. like Jim says there is alot of great painting supplies to go with. Don

My coupe was recently annualed and all seems structually good.

Al,
    If it just passed an annual inspection, it had better be structurally sound! I would think that any A&P IA that signed it off would be crazy not to have tested the fabric to their satisfaction, as well. After all, passing the annual inspection is the inspector's assurance to you that you can trust your life to the aircraft.
    Bill

Prairie Cottage Airport, 8KS8, Chapman KS
    Don is right on with the recommendation for Simple Green. It is the only degreaser that won't screw up aluminum. I use it for cleaning tough areas on all my fabric covered aircraft and have for many years. Just know that after using Simple Green and Dawn there won't be any protective wax on the painted surfaces, perfect to prepare for refinishing but not to leave out in the elements.
    Jim Clark, Chairman National Biplane Fly In, www.nationalbiplaneflyin.com. Currently flying: 1929 Waco CSO, 1939 Waco EGC-8, 1946 Piper J-3, 1955 Piper PA22/20, 1956 Beech G35, 1984 Beech A36 & 2001 Vans RV9.
    You love a lot of things if you live around them, but there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, nor any before nor any after, that is as lovely as a great airplane, and men who love them are faithful to them even though they leave them for others.
    - Ernest Hemingway

Thanks to all of you for responding. Will wash the plane soon and will check the logs regarding fabric covering but logs are not complete. Will become familiar with Stewart systems as per Jim's advice. In the end, I really wish to repaint the top of the fabric covering to better match it with the fuselage (Insignia White). Sounds like many of you feel that repainting the existing fabric is a viable option.

Kenkal, If the logs aren't complete, order the airplane's records from the FAA. This should have any 337's that have been filled out showing any major repairs or alterations, including the recover job that is presently on the wings. From that you should be able to see what finish was used on the fabric.

Kenkal, you are correct as to the Stewart System being approved over any other covering system. Something to bare in mind with it is that it is affected by auto gas. The urethane top coats are not effected but the first coat,(EkoFill,U.V. blocker),EkoPrime,and the glue are all softened?dissolved by auto gas, they are not affected by 100LL. They make a good cleaner as well, but Dawn detergent will remove oils and wax as well as anything. Early versions of Simple Green caused corrosion of aluminum,(it was used extensively by the Air Force, when this problem was discovered) the current formulations do not have this problem and a specific "Aviation" cleaner is available from them.
    The first step as to refinishing is, as others have said, to determine what fabric system was used. Ceconite with dope can be "rejuvenated" so can Stitts/Poly Fiber, the Stewart finish can be applied over any surface. Be aware that old fabric my not have an "approved" finish by today's standards as the STC procedures in the past only went through the U.V. blocker,("silver"), so your existing color paint could be anything legally if the covering was done long enough ago, automotive enamel etc.
    Start with a good cleaning and paperwork search and get the record C.D. from the FAA.
    Good Luck and have fun.