Thread: Wittman O&O Special information request

Wittman O&O Special information request

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone knows of a source for information, photos, plans or scale drawings for the O & O special?

Many thanks

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Banham View Post
    Hi All,

I wonder if anyone knows of a source for information, photos, plans or scale drawings for the O & O special?

Many thanks

Graham
    Graham, I don't believe any plans were done, it was a one off that Steve W built to commute between Oshkosh and Ocala. Drawings and photos, the museum might have some in OSH, I'm sure Zach, Hal, or Brady will chime in when they come on line.
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Hi Graham -

We don't have any plans or photos beyond what was published in two articles in Sport Aviation in the mid-80s, which I've attached.

EAA_SA_Aug_1984.pdf
    EAA_SA_Jan_1986.pdf

I'll keep me eyes open in case we come across anything else.

Regards,

Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

My understanding is that no plans were made, as was often the case of Witt's amazing designs-- the plans were all in his mind. I also have a recollection that he got a fair amount of requests for plans and declined them all; there probably weren't any done, sadly. There are photos of the structure in the various articles, and from that and Tailwind plans a person with the proper background and technical knowledge could probably create something close, but it would require the technical knowledge.

Jim

Thanks Guys, i was afraid that might be the case.

Interesting! I can't be the only one to know this ............... (Of course -- I'm not!)

Been thru the whole quest myself!

W. Randall Bray, an architect, recovered the O&O wreckage, an interesting saga, no doubt. Subsequently, he took off all (so far as as I can tell) structural and misc. details and drew up (as only an Architect can) 22 full-size sheets of "Historic Documentation". (EXTREMELY well done!)

Email: braymail@bellsouth.net Website: BRAYARCHITECTURE.COM

I have a copy of those documents (notice I'm not calling them "Plans") and I cannot say enough good things about the quality. I've talked to and corresponded with Randall. He was unqualified helpful BUT ............ He is a licensed Professional person and seems concerned (legally -- my opinion) about presenting as "Plans", detailed drawings of a "crashed" airplane. They are, however, VERY detailed. We are both a bit skeptical about the actual cause of the crash, official findings not withstanding. He can/will speak for himself about any/all of it.

Hi Henry,

Amazing! Many thanks for this: i'll contact Randall

Graham