Thread: Can Anyone Identify This Parachute

Can Anyone Identify This Parachute

Hi,

One of our chapter members died a couple years ago, and his widow donated a lot of his aviation items to our chapter. Among them are three military surplus parachutes.
    Two of them are labeled type NB6 and NB8, but I can't find any identification on the one in the pictures below. The only printing I see is to show where the inspection card goes, but that is empty. It weighs 27 lbs. The NB6 weighs 20 1/2 lbs., and the NB8 weighs 24 lbs.
    Can anyone see what type this one is?

Thanks for any help,
    Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I'm only guessing, but it looks like this may have been an NB8 or 6 (or one of the models from the other services) that has been modified for sport use. My major clues are the capewells (for cutting away) and the padding for the leg straps. There appears to be a hook up for a belly mount reserve as well. Also, the red risers won't be from a military canopy. I might be wrong, but I believe all the military emergency rigs used a D handle for the rip cord.
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

It's ex-military, but looks to be modified for sport jumping. Clues: shot-and-a-half Capewell fittings, and pack extensions sewn in to accomodate a bulkier sport canopy. Another giveaway: the red risers (military would likely be OD or sage). Those are almost certainly part of some kind of sport canopy packed in the container.

Hunter Valley in New South Wales Australia
    Hi, Seems to be a 'B4' harness with quick disconnect leg and chest snaps. Fully adjustable harness. Seems to have been modified to fit a bigger canopy, the red strips on each side. I suggest that you open it and check the canopy ID panel inside. This seems to be a main container for an experienced sport jumper of the day as i think you will find that the riser releases are the 'single shot' type. Open it up and check what canopy it is I'm curious. This gear would be from late 60's to mid 70's. Have you seen the movie gypsy moths?
    Two ways to get a good identification. Go to a larger drop zone with a onsite rigger and find a copy of the 'Poynter's' manual. it will be listed in that. Or if you or a chapter member is on Facebook, join a page called 'Oldschool Skydiving' this will get you a very quick response. I suggest Facebook. if you don't do FB let me know and i will copy the photos over.
    Ozzie

After a second look, those appear to be older (original) two-shot Capewell fittings. Few of those remained in use in sport jumping after ~1970. The ripcord location on the left main lift web ("cross-pull") also suggests a pre-1970 sport conversion (unless it was an outboard pull modification for a left-handed jumper).

This rig is in remarkably good condition for its vintage. I'd guess it wasn't jumped much.

If you're really curious about what you've got here, the suggestion of a rigger visit at your local skydiving dropzone is a good one.