Thread: IAC Judges Shortage?

IAC Judges Shortage?

Having become Chair of the IAC Judges Program I hear anecdotally about contests that are having the problem of being short of Judges for all of the competition categories that they want to fly.

Is this a regional problem? I hear that some areas are rich in Judges.

I would like to hear from contests that have run into this problem. And I would appreciate individuals who post info to include the last date their IAC chapter has hosted a Judges School.

Thanks!

Wes
    Chair, IAC Judges Program
    N78PS

Wes, we have had this problem for a number of years. There have been a couple of contests that I did not fly due to the need to jump in and help judge. A contest 8 years ago was cancelled due to lack of judges. I think we have run a 3 judges schools in the 8 years or so that IAC 19 has been active again. The last was August '14. We have always been a very small chapter, and in the few years after reforming, the chapter largely consisted of relatively inexperienced pilots who had not been involved enough to have the confidence to become a judge, or perspective about the need for judges in the sport. We have typically had good turnout at the judges schools, but this has not necessarily translated into more judges. Slowly some of the guys who have been involved with the chapter for a number of years have finally come around to the idea of working on becoming a judge...via a little browbeating from me. We added (3) new judges to the chapter from last year's judges school. Before then, we only had two judges in the chapter including myself.

Besides being tentative or not feeling "entrenched" enough in the sport to put in the effort to become a judge, I think others have had issues obtaining the required assists within the time window required. I feel the "practical" experience could be accomplished with a program that could be conducted locally outside of the contest environment. This could ease the schedule conflicts with the current assist process, and also produce higher quality judging, since reading Aresti does little to adapt to the judging environment. There are others who might show up to contests, but could almost take it or leave it, without enough interest in putting in effort beyond just showing up to a contest. It is true that becoming a judge (and retaining that judge) requires a fair amount of dedication to the sport. This sport seems to have burnout cycles, as well as issues roping in newbies who actually become committed to the sport beyond simply tentatively showing up to a contest now and then.

Eric

I will be sending a change proposal out this weekend to all of the IAC National Judges for input. The IAC Board had the opportunity to review a roadmap for changing the Judges Certification at last weekend's Board meeting. I see that you are a Regional Judge, so I will add you to the list.

That said, I suggest that the IAC Judges Credit Database shows that you can easily qualify to upgrade to National Judge this season, which would allow you to be part of the certification of new Regional Judges. Since National Judges are the most experienced I will be using that body of volunteers to test each of the changes that will be coming for Judge training and certification. You are welcome to participate and offer your ideas.

Regards,

Wes
    Chair, IAC Judges Program
    N78PS

Wes - one of the things I see being a challenge for people (including me this year) is flight count currency each-and-every year. I really don't think judging quality is better for someone with a high number of flights over several years, but an off year with only a contest or two, by going to the (usually very distant) day of classroom judges school. I'd advocate a rule change that looked at flight count over several years either instead of or as an alternate to the prior year only.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Gifford View Post
    I really don't think judging quality is better for someone with a high number of flights over several years, but an off year with only a contest or two, by going to the (usually very distant) day of classroom judges school. I'd advocate a rule change that looked at flight count over several years either instead of or as an alternate to the prior year only.
    Interesting idea, Craig. You're right, an experienced judge doesn't forget everything after just one slow year. But if we go in that direction, let's be careful to define a simple and clear rule about it. If you look over Rules 2.6.1, 2.6.2, and 2.6.3 and plot out all of the different paths to judge certification and currency, you'll see that things are pretty complicated already. I've been immersed in this as part of automating the currency and certification processes and it's been eye-opening.

I agree that it is undesirable to make the flowchart too complicated. Looking at the rule book, we would like try to just add words to 2.6.3 Currency Requirements For Regional And National Judges, (a) to say something like:

"(a) In order to attain currency and be added to the IAC Approved List of Judges for the current contest year, each Judge must pass the current year IAC Revalidation and Currency (R&C) Exam with a minimum score of 80% and have been a grading or Chief Judge for thirty (30) flights within the previous calendar year, or seventy (70) flights within the previous two (2) calendar years, in IAC sanctioned contests. Where the flights included (original text deleted here) Advanced or Unlimited Free Programs, each of those flights, up to 10, will be credited as two towards the total requirement."

The number(s) is obviously negotiable but the text above attempts to minimize the complexity and complication of DJ's work.

All of that said, if we can have more chapters host Judges Schools, and move the basic training info online so that an expired Judge does not have to travel great distances and incur much cost to attend one day of a school, we may not want to change the rule as stated above. There are educational and social benefits to sitting in a one day class and rubbing elbows with your peers if you have been away from Judging for a while.

Since Craig raised his hand, I will let him carry this idea forward.

All food for thought.

Wes
    N78PS

Last edited by WLIU; 03-30-2015 at 06:51 AM.

sounds like I've been assigned a rule change proposal....no worry, I'll have plenty of time to prepare it while sitting around at contests this year since I won't be judging. I just dread the boundary work.... :-)

Be careful what you say Craig. Ellyn may be lurking nearby!

John O.