Another member brought up a good point in another thread about how the expanded driver's license medical would be implemented if it passes. I thought this was important enough to warrant a new thread, as it's something I've been wondering about myself.

How will a new potential private pilot go about his training once he gets to the solo point? Since your student pilot's certificate is integral with your medical there will be no way to legally solo a certificated aircraft, which I believe the private requires. All the proposed legislation is silent on directing the FAA to establish a private student pilot certificate that doesn't require a medical. I'm sure there are other areas of the law that need to be changed too, like what a DPE is required to have from the student to issue a certificate--undoubtedly a medical being one of them. Can we really count on the FAA to do this unless they are forced by law? What I think will happen if this passes as it's written is it will be a boon to current private pilots who want to drop the hassle of the medical, but it won't do a thing for anyone wanting to start out.

Would it be possible to amend the wording to direct the FAA to establish a student pilot certificate similar to what sport pilot students receive now? Alternatively, maybe just writing the legislation where it makes the sport pilot student certificate valid for all aircraft up to 6000 pounds would work.

I am far from an expert, but I thought a dialog about these issues would be helpful. I am definitely not being critical of all the hard work EAA, AOPA, and the senators and congressmen are doing. I think it's probably the most important potential boost for general aviation since the sport pilot certificate. I am just one of the many potential new pilots who has been awaiting something like this since I can remember and don't want to be left out.