Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Converting Auto Engines

Yep, there are LOTS of conversions out there around 100HP. How about those around 300HP, like LooneyBird is querying us about? George Morse converted a Corvette engine for his lovely Prowler Jaguar
    and Geswender's big block Ford's were quite nice, but they were all so long ago, as was FEW's V-8 for their wee P-51. The Mazda conversion gang could at least help you out with an appropriate PSRU design. What is Thunder Mustang using for power?

Raven Redrives has had a lot of experience using the Geo engine. I talked with a pilot/builder that had one on his CH-701 and he said it works well.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by crusty old aviator View Post
    Yep, there are LOTS of conversions out there around 100HP. How about those around 300HP, like LooneyBird is querying us about?
    outstanding point. Answer the guy's question. Wish I could. But Titan is running a Honda V6 with the same displacement and a 245 hp rating:
    http://www.titanaircraft.com/engines.php

might be a good start to find out about that general size and output? and why they used it instead of the Nissan VQ35HR?

I was given a 2.2 Lt. Thermo King 4 cyl Diesel engine that would make good project for alternitive fuel. I'm in the process of stripping for aero use and see what kind of weight. might end up a boat anchor or yard ornament..

Quote Originally Posted by Don January View Post
    I was given a 2.2 Lt. Thermo King 4 cyl Diesel engine that would make good project for alternitive fuel. I'm in the process of stripping for aero use and see what kind of weight. might end up a boat anchor or yard ornament..
    Gosh, do you think it will put out around 300hp like LooneyBird is seeking?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    Gosh, do you think it will put out around 300hp like LooneyBird is seeking?
    Maybe if we turbo charge it, add a blower, and bore it 50 thousand's over might get 50 of his ponies. the other 250 hp will just strap it back on the Kenworth it came off of....

Yes, the air cools engines are good, but I am working on a little bit larger plane. I talked to Mr. Panzera at Contact! He seems to know who is doing what. I am hoping to see a few conversions at Oshkosh this year. If anyone knows where I should roam where liquid cooled engines are used, that would help.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    The "leader" by engine brand is Volkswagen flat four air cooled engines by a large factor. The limiting factor is horsepower, getting reliable power above ~50 hp is questionable. Respecting the limits, it's probably the best bang for the buck.

There are some other conversions that look interesting. Would be nice to see some data-Conversion cost, operating numbers and reliability but the latter is somewhat elusive. It simply takes a long time for a hobbyist to rack up 3-400 operating hrs.

There are those running turbo's on VW and having good luck. One such person, I believe he is a member here by the name of Jeff. He flies a really nice Sonerai that is VW powered with a turbo. I am sure that makes over 50 hp.

You really can not call the VW an auto conversion for it started its life as an aviation engine, then was adapted to auto use.

Tony

If interested in conversions you might check out HomeBuiltAirplanes.com and look at the section on auto conversions. There is a lot of info on LS engines and currently there is a thread by TxFlyGuy on building an LS powered warbird replica. Also look on the internet for Ben Haas and his Ford powered Zenith. http://www.zenith.aero/profile/Ben

Quote Originally Posted by ekimneirbo View Post
    If interested in conversions you might check out HomeBuiltAirplanes.com and look at the section on auto conversions. There is a lot of info on LS engines and currently there is a thread by TxFlyGuy on building an LS powered warbird replica. Also look on the internet for Ben Haas and his Ford powered Zenith. http://www.zenith.aero/profile/Ben
    Personally Id like to see something like a Merc 9.0 litre tuned to deliver around 900 HP and stripped down weight wise. At least it is one of the few engines designed for a similiar duty cycle as an aircraft engine, and would probably be a much better package than an over stressed automotive engine. Should be more than competitive with a falconer V12 and a heck of a lot more reliable due to a better valvetrain for the speeds they run.
    http://www.mercuryracing.com/sterndr...ngines/1100-2/